MDDS30 simple serial

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

MDDS30 simple serial

Postby Arska » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 am

I am driving the mdds30 using usb2rs232 converter from ubuntu, Qt and c++. I tested simple serial mode with one motor. Motor is rotating ok using the test button. But from the software it seems that operation is not following the protocol. What I found was that bit 0 is controlling rotation direction. And speed bits order is reversed. I didn't yet tested the channel bit.
7 6 ... 1 0
ch speed lsb ... speed msb dir
Is my finding correct or am I missing something obvious.

I also tried the packetized mode quickly, but with no success. It seem to be waiting autobauding, even after I send 0x80 byte to it. I suppose that calculating the checksum is as simple as manual say; byte3 = byte0 + byte1 + byte2. Needs more testing.

Any suggestions and thanks in advance
Arska
Greenhorn

Re: MDDS30 simple serial

Postby Arska » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:13 pm

I figured the obvious thing that I missed. RS232 voltage levels are not correct, because drive use TTL-level signals. I purchased USB->TTL converter cable and now the system works as it should.
Arska
Greenhorn

Re: MDDS30 simple serial

Postby Idris » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Arska,

Great findings. Yes, microcontroller signal level is based on TTL. Anyway, your project looks interesting, do you mind to share a clear video on how do you operate the driver?
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Return to Robot Controller