Enhanced SmartDrive40 - MDS40B - Potentiometer

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Enhanced SmartDrive40 - MDS40B - Potentiometer

Postby spu3 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 am

I have been testing your MDS40B with a 10K potentiometer in Locked Anti-Phase mode. I am very pleased with the operation of the controller however, one of my potentiometer leads came loose while the controller was running my motor. The controller continued to run at full speed and no change in the potentiometer would reduce the speed until I either reconnected the loose wire or shutdown the controller. Is there a method to stop the controller in the event that a wire comes loose from the potentiometer? Thank you! Steve
spu3
Freshie

Re: Enhanced SmartDrive40 - MDS40B - Potentiometer

Postby waiweng83 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am

Hi,

Unfortunately no.
When one of the wire is disconnected, the voltage on the input pin will be stuck at either 5V or GND.
The motor driver has no way to know whether the wire is connected or not.
It will assume the input is valid and just run at full speed.
With the power of dream, nothing is impossible...
waiweng83

Postby spu3 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 pm

Thank you. Another question, what is the maximum voltage and amperage that is across the "power switch" terminals? Can I put voltage to one of the two terminals on the "power switch" terminal to power-up the controller? Thank you!
spu3
Freshie

Postby waiweng83 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 pm

spu3 WROTE:Thank you. Another question, what is the maximum voltage and amperage that is across the "power switch" terminals?

The voltage is equal to the battery voltage. The maximum current is < 1A because it's only used to power up the logic section of the motor driver.

spu3 WROTE:Can I put voltage to one of the two terminals on the "power switch" terminal to power-up the controller?

Nope. You need a real switch which will short both terminal together when on.
With the power of dream, nothing is impossible...
waiweng83

Return to Robot Controller