Controlling SC08A servo driver using raspberry pi zero

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Controlling SC08A servo driver using raspberry pi zero

Postby bhushantaskar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi,
I have raspberry pi zero. I want to use it to control servo motor connected to SC08A servo driver. I am connecting Tx of raspberry pi to Rx of SC08A (UART driven). However, I was not able to find any sample code to control Tx port of raspberry pi using python code. SC08A user manual does not provide any python code examples. I am looking for any example code or the information using which I can code it in python. All I want to do is to set some angle on servo motor.
Thanks!
bhushantaskar
Fledgling

Re: Controlling SC08A servo driver using raspberry pi zero

Postby ober » Mon May 17, 2021 6:51 am

Hi, sorry, we do not have library for SC08A in Python. You can develop it based on the User's Manual.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Re: Controlling SC08A servo driver using raspberry pi zero

Postby alishakihn » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:58 pm

To control a servo motor connected to the SC08A servo driver using a Raspberry Pi Zero and Python, you can utilize the `pyserial` library to communicate with the SC08A over the UART interface. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started: Flappy Bird

1. Install pyserial: Begin by installing the `pyserial` library on your Raspberry Pi Zero. Open the terminal and run the following command:
````
pip install pyserial
```

2. Connect Raspberry Pi to SC08A: Connect the TX pin of the Raspberry Pi Zero to the RX pin of the SC08A servo driver using a suitable level shifter if required. Ensure that the ground (GND) connections are also properly connected.

3. Identify the serial port: Determine the serial port that the Raspberry Pi Zero is using to communicate with the SC08A servo driver. You can use the following command to list the available serial ports:
````
ls /dev/serial/by-id/
```

Look for a port name similar to `/dev/serial/by-id/usb-xxxxxx`, where `xxxxxx` represents the unique identifier of the USB-to-serial converter on the Raspberry Pi Zero.

4. Write Python code: Use the identified serial port in your Python code to communicate with the SC08A. Here's an example code snippet to get you started:

````python
import serial

# Define the serial port and baud rate
serial_port = '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-xxxxxx'
baud_rate = 9600

# Create a serial connection
ser = serial.Serial(serial_port, baud_rate)

# Set the angle of the servo motor
angle = 90 # Set your desired angle here (0 to 180)
command = '#0P{}T100\r\n'.format(angle) # Example command to set the angle

# Send the command to the SC08A servo driver
ser.write(command.encode())

# Close the serial connection
ser.close()
```

Make sure to replace `/dev/serial/by-id/usb-xxxxxx` with the actual serial port name you identified in step 3. Adjust the `angle` variable to the desired angle for your servo motor.

5. Run the code: Save the Python code to a file, such as `servo_control.py`. Open the terminal, navigate to the directory where the file is located, and run the following command:
````
python servo_control.py
```
The code will execute and send the command to set the desired angle to the servo motor connected via the SC08A servo driver.

Remember to refer to the SC08A servo driver's documentation for the specific command format it expects and for any additional settings or configurations you may need to apply.

Note: Ensure that you have the necessary permissions to access the serial port on the Raspberry Pi. You may need to add your user to the `dialout` group using the following command:
```
sudo usermod -a -G dialout username
```
Replace `username` with your actual username.

I hope this helps you get started with controlling your servo motor using the Raspberry Pi Zero and Python!
alishakihn
Greenhorn

Return to Robot Controller