How to control a stepper motor using SD02B?

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Re: How to control a stepper motor using SD02B?

Postby ober » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm

By default, SD02B is driving stepper motor in full micro stepping mode, thus it will mostly light up 3 LEDs. You can refer to the User's Manual for the micro stepping size.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby dante » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 am

i really not understand about the driver
3 LED light up mean 3 coil energized.
refer to post #2
In the full step sequence, two coils are energized at the same time and motor shaft rotates
why this driver 3 coil energized?
dante
Greenhorn

Postby sich » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi dante,

You'll see 3 LEDs light up at a moment because of the microstepping. By default, SD02B will step at 1/10 microstepping. So when you use a switch to generate pulses to the PULSE pin, you will see one LED stay at full brightness while the other two change their brightness every 10 cycles when you continue to release and press the switch continuously.

One thing to clarify here is that we are energizing 2 coils for bipolar method. In every 10 cycles (for 1/10 microstepping) one coil remains it's energizing direction (let's say X to !X) and the other coil is given PWM to maintain the shaft at a position between 1.8 degree. So you see that two LEDs light up but at different illuminate levels. These sequence change every 10 cycles.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby Xecon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Can i ask a question about SD02B..
I have a stepper motor size 23, have 8 wires for model RS440-442. How to connect the motor to the SD02B since the driver only have capacity for 4,5,6 wire leads?? maybe a diagram can help me.. The motor have Red, Red/White, Black/White, Black, Yellow, Yellow/White, Green/White, Green.
Xecon

Postby sich » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Most probably your stepper motor has 4 separated coils. That's why there're 8 wires.
8 wires.jpg
8 wires.jpg (3.32 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

You can connect it to becomes a 6 wires stepper motor like this:
6 wires.jpg
6 wires.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

However, I don't know which wire represents which coil. So you have to find it out by your own, either by referring to the motor's datasheet or through trial-n-error manually. I think different colors indicate different coils. Maybe you can try from connecting 2 pairs together one-by-one... that's a lot of combinations :?
sich

Postby Xecon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:06 pm

sich WROTE:However, I don't know which wire represents which coil. So you have to find it out by your own, either by referring to the motor's datasheet or through trial-n-error manually. I think different colors indicate different coils. Maybe you can try from connecting 2 pairs together one-by-one... that's a lot of combinations :?

U mean, there are 2 wire will be join together in the slot at SD02B?
Xecon

Postby sich » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 am

Yes. Did you log a question in Cytron's SD02B product page? That guy is using the same motor. You can find the datasheet in the link given.
sich

Postby Xecon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 pm

sich WROTE:Most probably your stepper motor has 4 separated coils. That's why there're 8 wires.
8 wires.jpg

You can connect it to becomes a 6 wires stepper motor like this:
6 wires.jpg

Just simply connect this two wire in order to become 6 wires stepper motor?

From the datasheet, i already know the position of the coil. But dont have idea which one to join.
Xecon

Postby sich » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:19 am

Yes, just like what i'd shown in the second picture.

Xecon WROTE:From the datasheet, i already know the position of the coil. But dont have idea which one to join.

The easiest way is refer to datasheet's info. If it doesn't state clearly, just try any combination systematically, pair-by-pair.
sich

Postby Xecon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:58 pm

i want build XY plotter. The objective is to plot something on a paper. So..by using SD02B, is there any way to create algorithm so my robot can plot according the algorithm?

My robot is direct connect to the PC through USB-Uart
Xecon

PreviousNext

Return to Robot Controller