DIY Project for CNC Machine.

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Re: DIY Project for CNC Machine.

Postby sich » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 pm

I think that vexta is the kind of motor you need, after consider the size of your frame. Although you said it's light weight, the motors need to counter the inertia while running it forward n backward. I'm sorry to say that we don't have this type of stepper motor in stock.

The stepper motor we have is quite small and might suitable for the z-axis only(which i also don't dare to guarantee the performance :? ). The current per phase for this kind of stepper motor is usually less than 1A. I think ours is 0.4A only.

For the driver part, I'm not sure how they control the stepper driver. Some photos show that they're using parallel port which is obsoleted on modern PC and others are unknown. Do you plan to develop your own PC program? If you are using open source created by some enthusiasts, you need to determine how they interface their PC with the driver. Choose a program which is suitable for your computer system and is using the type of stepper motor driver which can be found.

Our SD02B stepper driver uses UART to communicate with a host (PC or embedded controller). It has its own communication protocol as well. I don't see any possibility for you to use it directly to interface with any PC program available. However, we would like to try our best to help if you're willing to have a try and get yourself into the coding stuff :D
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby roywnc69 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Thnxx for the reply Sich. I'm still learning Sich. Correct me if i wrong ya..
Now, the connection to the driver as we can plug to printer port(base on Sherline product)
**ex: Image
8760 - CNC 4-axis Driver Box and Power Supply
Item details
Weight: 0 kg, 0 grams
Stock: Pre-Order

The components in this driver box are the same as the ones installed in the computer itself when ordering a complete Sherline CNC system. Putting them in a separate box gives you the opportunity to set up a CNC system using a Sherline machine and Sherline stepper motors and drivers, but you can use your own computer and your choice of software to control them. The 8760 driver box has output cables for X-, Y-, Z- and A-axes. It also includes an input cable that connects to the 25-pin parallel (printer) port on your computer. Included with the driver package is a 4 amp power supply and a 2-CD set with the Linux OS and EMC 4-axis software ready to install on your computer if you choose.

**The program :
8326 - Linux/EMC CNC Software on CD
Item details
Weight: 0 kg, 0 grams
Stock: Pre-Order

The Sherline CNC systems that include a computer come with the Linux operating system and EMC (Enhanced Machine Controller) program already installed. A pair of CD's (Linux/EMC CD, Instruction/Utility CD) can be purchased if you wish to duplicate the system Sherline offers on your own computer.

NOTE: Some familiarity with Linux is recommended before attempting to install. Depending on component compatibility in your computer, Sherline cannot guarantee that this operating system will install successfully on your computer. Minimum requirements include 800 MHz or faster CPU, 256MB RAM, and 25-pin parallel port for connection of external 8760 driver box.

One CD contains the Linux Operating System and EMC programs, while the other CD contains instruction files and free utilities.

Linux and EMC are "open source" software and are available for free download from the Internet. Because the Linux OS is a very large download (over 500 MB), it is offered on CD as a convenience and priced to cover our costs of reproduction and handling. These CD's are included free as a backup with the purchase of any Sherline CNC system that includes a computer and also with the 8760 driver box. Free technical support is NOT included when the CD's are purchased as a separate item or with the 8760 driver box. Technical help on Linux is available through the Linux group at
http://www.linux.org. Help on EMC can be found through http://www.linuxcnc.org.

**OR the complete package:
For the CNC to run according to the drawing that we want's to engrave or cut, they use March3 for the g-code.

Anyway Sich, what is the best size(machine structure) if i want to use your SD028B?
Can this product work like what i want?

**All the product that i post here is now available in KL,by TouchDiy.
roywnc69
Apprentice

Postby hyng » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Very nice project... :lol:
keep improving ya .... :mrgreen:
hyng

Postby sich » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:46 pm

How much is that? If budget is okay for u, i would suggest that you get the complete set. If you want to develop your own system, it'll take you long long time to complete your diy project but of course the cost can be lower.
sich

Postby roywnc69 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm

I still waiting for the quotation. The complete set will be few 'k'. I hope this item will be less then RM2 K.
This system are very straight forward by using Linux and March 3 program. What we need is just connect to parallel printer port.

March 3 program enable us to create a 'g code' for the milling process.

We just can run the Linux program with the 'live cd' where this OS call 'UBUHTU', which without installing this program to our HD. Therefore, we do not need to setup our system anymore. This is an absolutely free software.

This OS is just like window's but it's come with CNC application. I have seen the tutorial regards to this program few time's.

I really hope you can see the tutorial regards to this product which it's really impressive.

Few phone call's been made to find out about this product and the system.
I will reply the status of my project as soon i get it done.

Wish me LUCK ya...
roywnc69
Apprentice

Postby sich » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Hopefully everything goes smooth for u. Wait for ur updates :D
sich

Postby andyew » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Cool project, it will definitely be some steep learning curve, but worth the challenge!

Mine was a small 2'x2' and will dig out some info about it...

Roy, check ur PM...

Anyway, it's my 1st post here,

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL!
andyew
Greenhorn

Postby roywnc69 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:16 pm

Thnxx Andyew....
hye...how about we share some info on this project? 2 is better then 1 right? If 3 is much better.

My motor and driver will arrive somewhere next month. Meanwhile i convert this machine to a pantograph (duplicate) machine....

haahaa...wait for my 1st project that i will engrave for all forumer..
roywnc69
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Robot Controller