PIC developmenyt tools

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

PIC developmenyt tools

Postby Ville » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:32 am

hi
i'm new in using microcontroller..
i understand that PIC needs a programmer hardware so it can be integrated with its IDE..
What about the debugger?
Am i also need to get debugging hardware?
or just debug via the IDE-programmer?
whats the function of in circuit debugger hardware??

a bit confusion here :? :?

Re: PIC developmenyt tools

Postby ober » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Depends on your development, most of large project require hardware debugger. Hardware debugger can instruct your microcontroller to execute program line by line.

normally you can debug through checking and verifying the problem through software.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby yonghui » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 am

hi,

UIC00B is a low cost programmer and debugger.
have a look on it :)

http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=HQkiNAcJNhseJDEgFA0xOPkMPWisEolHSSeQbYB0j1Y=

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby robosang » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Yup, actually UIC00B can debug, just a few breakpoints only!

I have been using it since UIC00A to UIC00B when Cytron launched the new version. No problem using it 8-), and most important, that is the cheapest programmer I ever see!
robosang
Expert

Postby Ville » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:40 am

thanks for the advice ^^

since i intend to assemble my design circuit on the bredboard, that's mean i have to program the PIC separately rite ( because no programming header)?
Which in this case i have to buy UICS is it?

Postby yonghui » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Ville WROTE:thanks for the advice ^^

since i intend to assemble my design circuit on the bredboard, that's mean i have to program the PIC separately rite ( because no programming header)?
Which in this case i have to buy UICS is it?

hi,

u can use the UICS to program it, it will become simple.

however, u can also do some wirings on breadboard, to pull out the required pins for the programmer. this will might require u to do some protection on the circuit, becoz the programmer will give out 12V on MCLR pin. 12V might spoil some part of the circuit connected to it if its not 12V tolerant.

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby robosang » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 am

Personally, I like to use 2x5 ways box header as recommended to connect the UIC00B to my project board. Don need to plug out and plug in my PIC. loading program and running program on the same board.
robosang
Expert

Postby Ville » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 pm

if i want wanna make a PIC to be functioned as this :
1. Receive RFID reader data (ASCII/HEX,that have been digitally filtered before becomes the input of PIC) and send to PC (software).

2. Light the LEDs ( Green for granted, red for access denied )

3. Control a buzzer ( Sounds once signal from the RFID tag received by RFID reader )

Is the hardware debugger required or i just can debug via the software ?

Sorry to bother ^^
I wanna make an exact list of items to be bought..

Postby yonghui » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 am

hi..

Is the hardware debugger required or i just can debug via the software ?

dont worry to much about debugger, debugger is actually a tool that make life easier when we are facing bugs because of the semantic or logical error of the code.
syntax errors are easily detected by compiler, but semantic error is not that easy to be found, but it can be debugged through experience and knowledge on architecture requirements. so, if u are not rushing a project. hardware debugger is not really needed for a small project. just need a little patience to get the code working well. partitioning the code into smaller parts for debugging purposes, when all the small parts are working well, then combine it into a full complete working code.
but UIC00B is working as both programmer and simple debugger at a very low cost of RM50.90. worth to buy and be added into ur list.
probably UC00A is a good tools to have for debugging, sending the received data or any information we wan to see to terminal through UART/serial communication to see it on terminal. UC00A make it possible for simple communication to computer.

do consider buying cytron's PR8 project, its very similar to yours project. the sample source code i ready for u, its open and free.

PR8 RFID : Read & Display V2010
http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=ExUoFhQNEwkWCyklKREgO2IGmqiNPZZB49SjdeVTBfM=

UIC00B
http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=BzYeLhUrEjgYAxIYGTwAILieD7KDQ8dkqavD3RHHWp8=

UC00A
http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=MjYPKBwIOQIwGSEnCicQPYTvbV6gh31Y9uunwYW1UxM=

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby Ville » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks to both of you ^^
really help me much..

Any tips for me to start with PIC programming?

Next

Return to PIC Development Tool