SK40C Suggestion

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

SK40C Suggestion

Postby aurora » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm

I bought the SK40C mainly as prototype board for me to test my circuit and troubleshoot my program. Previously I used a breadboard and had all the wires jumping around. It works fine at the beginning, not until I took a break for few weeks...... :roll:

And so, while waiting for the board to arrive, I skim through the manual to familiarize myself with the board. The connection for LCD is really thoughtful and convenient. :) The UART is nicely put, and it really save a lot of trouble. It's pretty neat stuff at that price, only a few area that need some minor tweak to tailor to my need. ;)

Anyway, let's start a new thread compiling ideas and suggestions that we wish to see in the next upgrade board (SK40D? :lol: )

I'll start first:
1. Cable terminal connector - Useful for those who want to connect the board with 2-wire dc supply (battery). Works for anyone planning to ditch the power plug and go mobile. Something like this: Image

2. Selector switch/jumper for power supply - Choice of using DC adapter supply (7-12v) or just 5v directly to Vdd/Vin. Couple with no.1 above, user have the option either socket adapter, or terminal block; for 7-12v or 5v.
aurora
Discoverer

Re: SK40C Suggestion

Postby robosang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:27 am

aurora WROTE:Anyway, let's start a new thread compiling ideas and suggestions that we wish to see in the next upgrade board (SK40D? :lol: )

I'll start first:
1. Cable terminal connector - Useful for those who want to connect the board with 2-wire dc supply (battery). Works for anyone planning to ditch the power plug and go mobile.

2. Selector switch or jumper for power supply - Choice of using DC adapter supply (7-12v) or just 5v directly to Vdd or Vin. Couple with no.1 above, user have the option either socket adapter, or terminal block; for 7-12v or 5v.

1. Agree with you aurora, I have this problem too when I get my SK40C, I have Cytron SK40B too. SK40B come with optional connector for battery input which need to some soldering work. Your suggestion is better, like it. Anyway, I get myself a solution on the SK40C with portable power, I suggestion Cytron to get this in:

Or this:

Very flexible and no design change, I am sure Cytron would like it! :lol:

2. A good idea too.... Why don I ever think of that? A jumper should be sufficient right? Just worry that jumper is configure wrong and the connect 7V? That's pain :roll:
robosang
Expert

Postby ober » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 am

Hi, guys. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. Do let us know if you have any more ideas. Yes, there is still room for improvement, we will need to revise product from time to time. SK40C do help a lot of beginner to get started, even I and my colleagues are using it when we develop product in the prototyping stage.

On top of the comments and feedback you give (I have recorded it, thanks!), I would like to add more.

3. Some ask us to move the LEDs which we connect to RB7(PGD) and RB6(PGC). Because currently The LEDs are being used as indicator during program loading and of course it can be used during normal program running. Yet, a customer feedback is to re-locate this LED/s to another pin for the use during debugging. Because in debugging mode, PGD and PGC cannot be used for control. They have a point, considering to relocate it :) Any preferred pin?
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby ABSF » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 am

You might use RB1/RB2 or RB4/RB5 pairs cos they are the pins without other functions in the 16F877. Or you can put 2 U links for the LED to be operated from RB6/RB7 or other RB ports like this:

16f877
.------.
| |
| |
| |
| RB6|------------o ___ LED
| | U LINK o-|___|-->|---+
| RB1|------------o |
| | |
| RB7|------------o ___ LED |
| | U LINK o-|___|-->|---+
| RB2|------------o |
| | ===
'------' GND

(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 http://www.tech-chat.de)

In this way you can have indication while programmer and also the option to reallocate the LED away from RB6 and RB7.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby ABSF » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:17 am

My ascii art is screwed.... I'll redo it in BMP format

How do I insert a BMP image?

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby ober » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 am

ABSF WROTE:My ascii art is screwed.... I'll redo it in BMP format

How do I insert a BMP image?

Allen

Allen, thanks for the suggestions. Here is the link to show you how to upload photo, you will need a link first.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby ABSF » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi Ober,

I didn't see any link attached.......

Or did you forget!

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby ober » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Allen, the word 'link' is embedded with the link..... :D
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby ABSF » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Sorry didn't notice it :oops:

I try to attach the picture again as instructed in the link, got the error message below:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting ',' or ')' in /home/cytron/public_html/forum/cache/tpl_milky-way_simple_header.html.php on line 16

I did try different format, and cropping the image to smaller sizes but I am still getting the above message. Mind to explain?

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby kl84 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am

favicon_32x32.png
favicon_32x32.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
kl84
Amateur

Next

Return to PIC Development Tool