Pickit2 Vpp Voltage Level Error

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

Pickit2 Vpp Voltage Level Error

Postby noien » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 am

I had been using pickit2 for around 5 months and this is the first time that it pop up this kind of error.

I use
USB ICSP PIC Programmer V2010
ICSP Programmer Socket

This is the error I got from pickit2.
This is the solution in the usermanual which I cant understand.

Is it my PIC faulty or the programmer is faulty.I try to use my PIC and the code that is in it is still working fine.
Pls help.
Thank you
noien

Re: Pickit2 Vpp Voltage Level Error

Postby ABSF » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Since you're using socket to program your 16F877 externally, You should tick the +5V square to supply +5V to your pic.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby Brian Griffin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Something is shorting the circuit inside, hence the Vpp voltage level error. You may need to double check the connections.
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
dsPIC - MikroC for dsPIC, mikromedia board (dsPIC33)
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby noien » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:43 pm

I do tick for the 5v and since the pickit2 already been showing this since yesterday.so I forget to tick it since it is a screen shot

I did the troubleshoot using the pickit2 troubleshoot.
The first one is to test the Vdd and Vss pin(pin11 and 12).I use a pin header and put in the socket but the multimeter show 0 although it is suppose to be 5V.I had tested with the Vpp pin pull down and just let it be.It will show 0 in the multimeter.

The second step is to test Vpp when the the troubleshoot program will produce 12V but in the end it is still 0V

:cry:

Is the steps done by me is correct?
Thank you
noien

Postby ABSF » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Did you check the fuse F1? Is it open? Look at P39 of the UIC00B Manual.

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby ober » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:05 pm

noien WROTE:I do tick for the 5v and since the pickit2 already been showing this since yesterday.so I forget to tick it since it is a screen shot

The first one is to test the Vdd and Vss pin(pin11 and 12).I use a pin header and put in the socket but the multimeter show 0 although it is suppose to be 5V.I had tested with the Vpp pin pull down and just let it be.It will show 0 in the multimeter.

The second step is to test Vpp when the the troubleshoot program will produce 12V but in the end it is still 0V

Thank you

noien, good that you know how to troubleshoot 8-)
you are connecting the UIC00B to UIC-S, correct? The easiest way to test the VDD is the LED on UIC-S. It should be activated when VDD is ON. Else, there might be problem on either UIC00B or UIC-S (maybe some short). As for Vpp, you can measure pin 1 on the 40 pin ZIF socket to GND. It should be 12V or around that voltage.

If still cannot get the expected result, please contact support again, we will arrange for product warranty to troubleshoot and repair it.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby noien » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:10 pm

ABSF WROTE:Did you check the fuse F1? Is it open? Look at P39 of the UIC00B Manual.

Allen

The fuse is not open.But the voltage is just around 3V
noien

Postby noien » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Spoiler: show
ober WROTE:
noien WROTE:I do tick for the 5v and since the pickit2 already been showing this since yesterday.so I forget to tick it since it is a screen shot

Thank you

noien, good that you know how to troubleshoot 8-)
you are connecting the UIC00B to UIC-S, correct? The easiest way to test the VDD is the LED on UIC-S. It should be activated when VDD is ON. Else, there might be problem on either UIC00B or UIC-S (maybe some short). As for Vpp, you can measure pin 1 on the 40 pin ZIF socket to GND. It should be 12V or around that voltage.

If still cannot get the expected result, please contact support again, we will arrange for product warranty to troubleshoot and repair it.

I check the VDD on the UIC-S.The voltage is just 2V.
And for the Vpp,the voltage measure is 0V.
I think I will sent it back for warranty since it is just 5months old.But how will it take for the troubleshoot team to repair it?
Thank you
noien

Postby ABSF » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Agree with ober. If the fuse is good, any further trouble shooting would void the warranty. So just follow ober's advice and send both the programmer + socket to cytron for repair.

Why not get one more UIC00B for spare while this one is under repair? ;)

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby noien » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:25 pm

LOL
How long will it take for the repair?
and a UIC00B is not cheap to me :cry: and because of this ,my pic16f is burnt
noien

Next

Return to PIC Development Tool