SK40C Target Device Not Detected

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

Re: SK40C Target Device Not Detected

Postby zhenning » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:27 am

And i also try connect UIC00A with PICDEM2 Plus Board, and it works also. However when i connect back the ICD3 with PICDEM2 Plus board, it wont works anymore and i get the above error in MPLAB. :(

Try troubleshoot it with the steps here: http://www.microchip.com/CiSAR/Default.aspx?type=icd3

They will be happy to give you a replacement if its under warranty and broken. ;)
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby aurora » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Have you solve your problem yet? I remember having problem with ICD2 and SK40C earlier. Check my post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10643

I notice the same thing, pin 8 was not connected to Vdd. But if you read the ICD2 Quick Start manual (mind come in a poster when I bought my ICD2), the wiring diagram did mention of connecting the Vdd to the ICD2 pin. Probably the same case for ICD3.

On PICDEM2, is it using the same PIC as SK40C? I get the same problem of "Device ID does not match" very often, and that is because my PIC doesn't match. Make sure you declare it correctly under "Configure" -> "Select Device".
aurora
Discoverer

Postby honglong » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:12 pm

zhenning WROTE:
Before using UIC000A to program, it was tested ok.
And also i have the PICDEM 2 Plus board with me, when connect with ICD3, i get the following error:
The attachment 1.jpg is no longer available

This board also tested functional with ICD3 before i program it with UIC00A.

My guess on this error is that you did not provide power to the PICDEM2 board? Either using the adapter or battery

zhenning, i confirm that i have provide power to PICDEM2 board using adapter provided originally from ICD3 package so that that error would come out. This is because another error will come out if PICDEM2 board is not powered by adapter, that error would be like this:

MPLAB ICD 3 detected
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.43
Firmware type......................Midrange
MPLAB ICD 3 Connected.
ICD3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use
MPLAB ICD 3.

aurora WROTE:Have you solve your problem yet? I remember having problem with ICD2 and SK40C earlier. Check my post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10643

I notice the same thing, pin 8 was not connected to Vdd. But if you read the ICD2 Quick Start manual (mind come in a poster when I bought my ICD2), the wiring diagram did mention of connecting the Vdd to the ICD2 pin. Probably the same case for ICD3.

On PICDEM2, is it using the same PIC as SK40C? I get the same problem of "Device ID does not match" very often, and that is because my PIC doesn't match. Make sure you declare it correctly under "Configure" -> "Select Device".

aurora, my ICD3 Quick Start Manual also come in a poster, i notice the difference regarding the Vdd pin in between SK40C ICSP programming socket and ICD3 RJ-11 programming socket. That why i have ask cytron in the early of this forum (can see back). They explained, which is to prevent programmer(UIC00A or ICD3) from powering up the application circuit, i get the logical from that because the current is limited from programmer Vdd pin.
About the Configuration of Device, i confirm that i am selecting the right device.
If you configure the wrong device, the Device ID in MPLAB would not show Target Device ID(00000000), at least it have some value other than 0.
3.JPG

Gather up the testing i carry out, i found out this observation:
1.Vdd pin from ICD3 and PICDEM2 Board is link together, so the Device ID mismatch is pop up.
2.Vdd pin from ICD3 and SK40C is not linked, so the error(see below) pop up.
"ICD3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use
MPLAB ICD 3."
Try fooling the ICD3 by ticking the "Power target circuit from MPLAB ICD 3" as waiweng said early, it will pop up Device ID mismatch as in 1.
Untick "Power target circuit from MPLAB ICD 3", link Vdd pin of ICD3 and SK40C, Device ID mismatch error pop up as same by ticking "Power target circuit from MPLAB ICD 3". Doing both, ticking and linking manual, same error pop up.

Note: Before trying connect the UIC00A to PICDEM2 board, my ICD3 was working fine with PICDEM2 board and Self Test Interface module board. Afterwards, my ICD3 fail to function properly even the ICD3 Self Test Interface module could not be complete anymore. :cry:
Now everything has to use the UIC00A to load hex file and program. I guess there is some register/memory overridden by UIC00A in ICD3 so that ICD3 fail to function properly. So should i claim from Microchip that my ICD3 not functional anymore? Based on link that zhenning send to me, my ICD3 obviously fail the ICD3 Self Test Interface Test now.
honglong

Previous

Return to PIC Development Tool