UIC00B and UIC-A

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

UIC00B and UIC-A

Postby wilsonz91 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 am

Dear Cytron,

My development board accepts input using Microchip's ICD'S ICSP standard. I was wondering can I connect as follow:
Computer -> UIC00B -> UIC-A ->my development board
From computer to UIC00b using USB
From UCI00b to UIC-A using rainbow connecter
UIC-A to development board using Microchip's ICD'S ICSP standard

Please advise. Thank you.
wilsonz91
Freshie

Re: UIC00B and UIC-A

Postby ABSF » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:42 pm

wilsonz91 WROTE:Computer -> UIC00B -> UIC-A ->my development board

Of course you can. Look at what I've done.

P1010271.JPG

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby Brian Griffin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:49 pm

ABSF WROTE:
wilsonz91 WROTE:Computer -> UIC00B -> UIC-A ->my development board

Of course you can. Look at what I've done.

P1010271.JPG

Allen

That design is very, very neat! I wanna learn how to do that! 8-)
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
dsPIC - MikroC for dsPIC, mikromedia board (dsPIC33)
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby wilsonz91 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Thank you for your reply. But just to clarify:

As seen from your picture based on my understanding, the connection from the UIC-A to your development board is through the pins, labelled 'your output'. The output I want to use to my development board is the one labelled 'my output'. Can I do that?
Attachments
Pic1.png
wilsonz91
Freshie

Postby ABSF » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:30 am

You are confused by the labels I guess. There is no electronics on this little adaptor, just connectors and wires. The 10-pin IDC connector used by cytron has many pins not used (reserved for future use I think) and only 6 important pins namely Vpp, PGC, PGD, Vdd, GND and Aux are used.

These 6 signals are parallel to the 3 sockets (male or female) and arranged in the microchip pickits 2 and ICD2 standard. You can also do it using a stripboard or any donut PCB but I opt to buy it because it is cheap and it has a custom made PCB.

I am actually using the "PICKIT IN" side cause I have some female pins leftover from previous project. Maybe my next project will be using the ICD side for programming. They are the same after all..... 8-)

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby robosang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Indeed very nice, Allen!
robosang
Expert

Postby ABSF » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks Brian and Robosang,

I am using wire wrapping technique for this project because I haven't got the final HW working. I just got the PIC working but I know I need some more TTL chips for the other half of the circuit and I haven't designed that part yet. That's why the 2 14pin sockets are still empty.

I solder WW pins next to the IC sockets and wrap the wires on the component side. This is different from the conventional ways where WW sockets are used. I got the pins from thrown away used plugs and the WW gun from work. The wires I used are .6mm
solid core wires for telephones.

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby Brian Griffin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:05 am

ABSF WROTE:Thanks Brian and Robosang,

I am using wire wrapping technique for this project because I haven't got the final HW working. I just got the PIC working but I know I need some more TTL chips for the other half of the circuit and I haven't designed that part yet. That's why the 2 14pin sockets are still empty.

I solder WW pins next to the IC sockets and wrap the wires on the component side. This is different from the conventional ways where WW sockets are used. I got the pins from thrown away used plugs and the WW gun from work. The wires I used are .6mm
solid core wires for telephones.

Allen

These are wire-wraps? Are those can be purchased in Jln. Pasar? Will try to buy a roll or such. :)

Btw, I heard only the guys above 40-50 actually know wirewrapping due to the older PCB designs back in the 70s and 80s (if they are working on these).
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
dsPIC - MikroC for dsPIC, mikromedia board (dsPIC33)
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby ABSF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:26 am

Brian Griffin WROTE:These are wire-wraps? Are those can be purchased in Jln. Pasar? Will try to buy a roll or such.

You can try Jalan Pasar when you're free. But the wrapping gun is very expensive. But you can always start with the manual one. Then the mechanical and then electric ones. You also need another tool called unwrapping tool. This tool would unwrap the wire if you make a mistake.

Cytron also has this long tail header pin which is perfect for the job here

&

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Return to PIC Development Tool