SK40C + LCD help!!

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

SK40C + LCD help!!

Postby chaos64 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 am

Hi, I have a SK40C with a PIC18F4520. I have soldered the LCD onto the board and am using the UIC00B to program the pic. I downloaded the sample LCD code from the cytron website but only the LED's are working correctly. The LCD shows nothing when I burn the hex using the PICKit 2 software. The configuration bits are correctly set in code and are the same in the PICKit 2 application. The solder job is fine, my partners made sure not to damage the board. We used a female header on the board, and the male header on the LCD and simply plug in the 16 pins. I need help as soon as possible so I can continue working on my senior project. The only thing I can think of is if the solder job was lousy, although the backlight works fine. Any help is appreciated.

-Mike
chaos64

Re: SK40C + LCD help!!

Postby Idris » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:25 am

It is better if you can post the picture of your hardware and your problem. At least we are not wrong to imagine your problem. :)
Sample LCD code from Cytron using PIC18F4520?
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Postby chaos64 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am

chaos64

Postby ABSF » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Did you try to check the solder joints on the LCD with an ohm meter? May be 2 adjacent joints are shorted as your joints have too much solder.

BTW where did you buy the Radio Shack breadboard?

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby chaos64 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:00 pm

I could take closer pictures, but from looking at it, the solder job looks fine. What should I expect to see on an ohm meter if I hook it up to the LCD?

Obviously the Radioshack breadboard is from Radioshack.
chaos64

Postby ABSF » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 pm

chaos64 WROTE:Did you try to check the solder joints on the LCD with an ohm meter? May be 2 adjacent joints are shorted as your joints have too much solder.

Eyes can be deceiving sometimes. :twisted: Remove power for SK40C. With the LCD plugged in, set the ohmmeter to X1 range (analog) or buzzer mode (digital). Measure pin 1 against pin 2 then pin2 against pin3 and so on .... until pin 16. If you see the meter swing to zero or the buzzer buzzes, then you'll know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby chaos64 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm

ABSF WROTE:
Eyes can be deceiving sometimes. :twisted: Remove power for SK40C. With the LCD plugged in, set the ohmmeter to X1 range (analog) or buzzer mode (digital). Measure pin 1 against pin 2 then pin2 against pin3 and so on .... until pin 16. If you see the meter swing to zero or the buzzer buzzes, then you'll know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Allen

If the LCD is plugged in, where am I taking the measurement from? The only exposed metal is the solder.
chaos64

Postby Idris » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Like Allen said, just measure between pin1<>pin2, pin2<>pin3, pin3<>pin4, ..... , pin15<>pin16. If the buzzer turn ON, then there have a short circuit.
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Postby chaos64 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:29 am

Idris WROTE:Like Allen said, just measure between pin1<>pin2, pin2<>pin3, pin3<>pin4, ..... , pin15<>pin16. If the buzzer turn ON, then there have a short circuit.

Take the measurements from placing the probes on the solder?? If I unplug the LCD there are exposed pins from the male header that is soldered to the LCD, but when it's plugged into the female header that is soldered to the board, there are no places to take measurements from...
chaos64

Postby ABSF » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:42 am

chaos64 WROTE:Take the measurements from placing the probes on the solder?? If I unplug the LCD there are exposed pins from the male header that is soldered to the LCD, but when it's plugged into the female header that is soldered to the board, there are no places to take measurements from...

OK, then unplug the LCD. Measure all the LCD male pins then measure all the female pins on the soldering side. :mrgreen:
Or you can read the schematics of SK40C to find out which are the pins on the turned-pin socket that correspond to the lcd pins. I'm too lazy to open the schematics for you. 8-)

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Next

Return to PIC Development Tool