SK40C + LCD help!!

Programmer, In-Circuit Debugger, PIC Start-Up Kit, Memory Interface...

Re: SK40C + LCD help!!

Postby Brian Griffin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:37 am

chaos64 WROTE:
ABSF WROTE:
Eyes can be deceiving sometimes. :twisted: Remove power for SK40C. With the LCD plugged in, set the ohmmeter to X1 range (analog) or buzzer mode (digital). Measure pin 1 against pin 2 then pin2 against pin3 and so on .... until pin 16. If you see the meter swing to zero or the buzzer buzzes, then you'll know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Allen

If the LCD is plugged in, where am I taking the measurement from? The only exposed metal is the solder.

This is called "Continuity Test". When the multimeter buzzes, that means it is a short circuit.
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
dsPIC - MikroC for dsPIC, mikromedia board (dsPIC33)
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby chaos64 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:57 am

Our multimeter has no buzzer, but when taking the measurements it was approximately 12.5K ohms between Vdd and GND and approximately 12 M ohms between Vdd and CON pin. All other measurements gave us 0 on the multimeter. What does this mean?
chaos64

Postby ABSF » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 pm

chaos64 WROTE:All other measurements gave us 0 on the multimeter. What does this mean?

Does "All other measurements gave us 0 on the multimeter." refers to the test as metioned by Idris and myself? If that is the case , you need to ask someone who knows how to solder to redo the soldering for you. :mrgreen:

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby robosang » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Is that
female header? Looks to me like Turn Pin. Can you really plug the LCD with the header pin into turn pin nicely? I doubt that! Despite the soldering "short", I don think the connection can work :)

I would agreed with Allen, please look for someone to solder properly for you.
robosang
Expert

Postby Brian Griffin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 pm

I couldn't see the photo clearly.

If the LCD's plugged on the turn-pin headers beside the chip, it probably wouldn't work for sure.

I thought there's an LCD header on those Cytron SK40C boards? Why not use that one?
PIC - UIC00B from Cytron (replacement for my broken PICKit 2), Pickit 3, MikroC for PIC
dsPIC - MikroC for dsPIC, mikromedia board (dsPIC33)
AVR - AVR Dragon
Parallax - Prop tool
Brian Griffin
Enthusiast

Postby ABSF » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:59 pm

I think he did plugged in correctly. Only thing is that the pins would be to tight to go in completely and some pins might be not making proper contact...

d8nzf.jpg
The LCD is mounted correctly

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby chaos64 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:48 am

Okay since we thought at first it was the soldering on the LCD that was our problem, my friend took it to try and fix, but now since I realize this header we used is the wrong type, my first question is:

1. If I plug the LCD pins into a breadboard and use jumpers to connect to the Turn-Pin header, will that make sufficient contact to communicate properly to my LCD assuming the soldering job on the LCD pins is good enough? and

2. Should I try and de-solder the Turn-Pin header from the board and solder the LCD pins directly in its place on the SK40C?

I'm still not sure why this header would not work fine with the LCD pins, it plugged in fine but the pins didn't seem to go in all the way, I suppose that's the issue? I mean it plugged in fine meaning that it isn't difficult to insert or take out, it just seemed to not go in deep enough. The LCD backlight pin always worked, if the LCD backlight jumper on the SK40C board was plugged in using a jumper, the LCD backlight was always on when the board is powered. This is with the LCD plugged into the Turn-Pin header that you all believe is the cause of my problem. So before I try and desolder this Turn-Pin header, I'd like to know why the backlight pin and obviously Vdd worked as well since the backlight is good work but communicating to the LCD didn't work with the sample program. Please help.
chaos64

Postby robosang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:57 am

If you are not good in soldering, please don de-solder :) Because de-solder something is harder than solder something :mrgreen:

Why the LCD back light always work and the communication cannot work? LCD backlight is only 2 pins, communication? at least 10 pins, should be more, miss one connection, fail! And frankly, we are not sure the problem is due to connection, PIC? power? program? LCD? or other. But we are trying to minimize the possible root-cause and one of it is wiring. The connection that you show us do not convince us it can offer good connection.
robosang
Expert

Postby chaos64 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 am

So what should I do about having the wrong header on the LCD interface of the SK40C? Am I forced to leave it there and try and wire up the LCD through a breadboard with jumpers connecting the header and LCD? That seems like my best solution right now, my friend brought the LCD to work to try and fix, but like I said in my early post, the multimeter said 0 ohms on most connections on the LCD, and 12k ohms between 2 of the pins and something in the MEG ohm range between another two. What do these results even mean? That the two readings with resistance are bad or are they the only good connections?
chaos64

Postby ABSF » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 am

Two options:

1. Leave it like that but you need to remove the excessive solder using this
http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... ing%20Pump
Then stick to your plan using a breadboard as the connecting bridge.

2. Get someone who has the skill to do soldering to unsolder it for you then install the correct female headers.
They are actually quite simple and shouldn't have make you so upset... 8-)

*3 Buy a new SK40C if that doesnt make you broke. :mrgreen: ..........Just kidding

Allen
ABSF
Professional

PreviousNext

Return to PIC Development Tool