Help me (3 axis stepper motor)

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

Help me (3 axis stepper motor)

Postby lingsc12345 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi, i was doing my final year project about the controlling speed of 3 motors. I have decided to use the stepper motor, but now i dont know what to do next. Anyone can help me?
lingsc12345
Greenhorn

Re: Help me (3 axis stepper motor)

Postby aurora » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 am

Erm, go library and start looking? Online and start googling for stepper motor controller? :D

Anyway, first you need to know what type of stepper motor (unipolar, bipolar, their circuits are different), what is the rated voltage and current (so you don't burn them).

Stepper motor operates by constantly changing the supply voltage on their teminal.

They are for very precise control, some are rated up to few degree. You need to know how many steps to make 1 turn cycle. Speed control are done by applying time delay between each pulse. It's not exactly a good idea to use stepper motor to control speed, you will see pulsation jerking especially at low speed. :o
aurora
Discoverer

Postby ober » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 am

lingsc12345, what is the purpose of controlling the motor speed? Any special objectives? What is the controller be? Computer or microcontroller? I would agree with Aurora as stepper is not easy to control. Anyway you can take a look at SD02B which it provides an great way to control using UART. You can use USB to UART (UC00A) connect to computer and control it by sending command through COM port. Try to go through the User's Manual of SD02B and you should be able to get the idea.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby lingsc12345 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi aurora and ober, thanks to help me. My project purpose is actually to run the motor by the computer. The results for this project is i need to be able to control the speed as well as the direction for 3 motors. May i know that is there any other motors can allow me to do so as i need?
:oops: Sorry to trouble you all for this simple task, but it is quite a challenging task for me, coz i'm a physics student that want to learn more in this area.
lingsc12345
Greenhorn

Postby sich » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:35 pm

I wonder are you working on something like roywnc69 do? Please have a look.

http://forum.cytron.com.my/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9133

Actually any motor can be controlled using a computer. All you need to do is to interface the motor driver with the computer. What you need is a circuit to read commands from the computer and translate them to certain driving command required by the motor driver. You may design your own driver with PC interface if you want.

At computer, you may want to use Hyperterminal (a program comes with WinXP) to send ASCII code to your circuit. Otherwise you can design a GUI (Graphical User Interface) to do the task.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Return to DC Motor