Stepper Motor Control

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

Stepper Motor Control

Postby amirnabil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 am

Help me...

I want to know about controlling the stepper motor. Is that stepper motor can operates if we connect direct DC supply..?

LINIX Stepping Motor
Product Code : 42BYGHD-234
Link of stepper motor
http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=KzwHHRwkIA4PNBgLBgQWDnR39nVsjbl65HFku0icPGA=
Attachments
LINIX Stepper.jpg
LINIX Stepping Motor
Product Code : 42BYGHD-234
LINIX Stepper.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
amirnabil
Greenhorn

Re: Stepper Motor Control

Postby shiyan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 am

:lol: Actually do you know the nature of stepper motor?

It moves in step, you need to instruct it move step by step..... simple words, if you connect power and it starts rotate, is that call move by step? No, right?

Stepper motor need a stepper motor driver and some might add stepper motor indexer to generate pulse needed.......
shiyan
Amateur

Postby amirnabil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks shiyan for your advice....actually I'm not sure either the stepper motor features...

If i'm use the 555 timer that produce the pulse and relay to control the stepper motor is that working..?
amirnabil
Greenhorn

Postby sich » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm

You better study stepper motor first before you continue with anything.

Relay is not designed for this purpose. This stepper motor step size is 1.8 degree and so it takes 200 steps to make a full 360 rotation. Can you imagine the relay on/off 200 times for one round? And i'm sure the stepper motor will rotate for more than one round. Moreover, you may need to rotate the motor at fast step. So that may yield in 200 times per second or more.

You can use 555 timer to create the pulses but honestly it's not that simple to design the complete working circuit, plus accurate stepping. Using a microcontroller will be a more practical approach. But, of course, it needs pretty much of hard work as well. The simplest way is buy yourself a stepper driver :D
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby amirnabil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:48 pm

thanks sich...

thanks a lots for your advice. I'm trying to find the right and suitable motor that can be use for my project which is solar tracker. In my circuit, I'm using 555 timer and relay to operate with the motor that can move the solar panel when the sensor tracks the movement of sunlight. So that, can u suggest to me the suitable motor that can be use for the solar tracker...?

I'm appreciate your comments and suggestion... :)
amirnabil
Greenhorn

Postby robosang » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 pm

ya.... stepper motor loh!

but sich is right, I never seem anyone use relay to control stepper yet, if you do it, remember to share it. :o I would really like to see how it works.
robosang
Expert

Postby hayate_kun » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 pm

shiyan WROTE::lol: Actually do you know the nature of stepper motor?

It moves in step, you need to instruct it move step by step..... simple words, if you connect power and it starts rotate, is that call move by step? No, right?

Stepper motor need a stepper motor driver and some might add stepper motor indexer to generate pulse needed.......

Hello shiyan!

I understand that stepper motor moved by step but what did u mean by "Stepper motor need a stepper motor driver and some might add stepper motor indexer to generate pulse needed..."? is stepper motor driver and stepper motor indexer are two seperate things?
What is stepper motor indexer anyway? :?
Thanks!
Sharing is caring. Thanks in advance! ;)
hayate_kun

Postby fremond » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 pm

hello there..

i am currently doing on my final year project..i understand that a stepper motor rotate 1.8 degree per step and it requires 200 steps to complete 360 degree..what i would like to ask is when i want to receive the encoder value from the stepper motor..it comes out large numbers..let's say 36789 and so on..but actually the value that i want is not this..i want the degree value of the step..so can someone enlighten me on how to change the encoder value to degree per step?..in that way i can do inverse kinematics on my robotic arm^^..thanks a lot in advance
fremond
Novice

Postby sich » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Normally a stepper motor doesn't have encoder attached to it. Did you attach the encoder by yourself? Can you show us the connection and photo?
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Next

Return to DC Motor