Unable to get encoder output

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

Unable to get encoder output

Postby EEEngineer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi,

I am using the planetary motor IG32E. I could not get the periodic square wave waveform from the encoder output directly. I saw on the datasheet (http://www.cytron.com.my/usr_attachment ... cation.pdf) that a 1kohm resistor is required in order to get the signal. However, I could not understand how this resistor is supposed to be connected to the circuit.

Can someone help me please?
EEEngineer
Greenhorn

Re: Unable to get encoder output

Postby robosang » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 pm

This is what we call open drain output. You will need to pull-up to the logic you prefer. I really don know which part you do not understand. The datasheet have shown quite clear picture. Connect a resistor, you can try with 1K, but I normally use 10K, connect one end to the output (A or B) and the other end of resistor connect to let's say 5V. Of course GND is a must, just common it up.

You should get pulses out when motor start rotating. I think Cytron's staff did an article and video on quadrature encoder. Let me find it. Here you are: Quadrature Encoder.

The video:
robosang
Expert

Re: Unable to get encoder output

Postby EEEngineer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Thank you all very much for the information. It is clear to me now. Cheers! :D
EEEngineer
Greenhorn

Return to DC Motor