the voltage and current to move 5 servo motor

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

the voltage and current to move 5 servo motor

Postby cheelip » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Currently i doing the project moving the 5 servo motor (c40r) which having the seperating source from the pic,i use the voltage regulator ( VR-7806) to get the output 6V for servo so my question is what is the AC to DC adaptor should i buy for VR7806 voltage regulator input? (previously i us SK40c board to move 2 servo but i don't think i have enough power to move 5 servo becouse the current rating for SK40c adaptor is 1.5A and also the datasheet for don't mention the current rating C40R servo, plz someone may let me know which adaptor should use foe 5 servo and input for VR7806, Thank you......^^)
cheelip
Novice

Re: the voltage and current to move 5 servo motor

Postby ober » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 am

A RC servo can simply consume current up to 2A in stall condition. In C40R case, I would estimate 1.0 to 1.5A of current needed for good operation.

6V is the maximum voltage allow for C40R. A normal 7806 regulator can do the work but a 7806 regulator can only regulate 1A of current maximum and it will be extremely hot for long time of operation, furthermore, the source for 7806 must still need to have enough current. In simple words, if you need 5A at the 7806 output, you will need to supply at least 5A to the input too.

Therefore, to get yourself 5A or more power supply, I can recommend a few options:
1. Battery such as SLA 7Ah 12V
2. Switching power supply, 12V 8.5A
3. Or get yourself ATX power supply from computer store and uses BB-ATXRA to obtain the 12V. You can try the 5V too if you want.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby cheelip » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Thx ober.....by the way the i still confuse because the input current is 12v will not spoil the servo motor ? because the salesman in the shop keep insisting that only can giving maximum 6v to servos motor else will burn it so i still can apply the 3 methods which suggested by you ? thx for replying....^^

[by cheelip » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 am]
The question is i still confuse because the input current is 12v will not spoil the servo motor ? because the salesman in the shop keep insisting that only can giving maximum 6v to servos motor else will burn it so i still can apply the 3 methods which suggested above else what is the connection of circuit ? If i operate under full load condition the max current for the 5 servo motor may up to 7A but i refer to my senior FYP schematic which only apply the input 5v parallel to 5 to 6 servos, so what is the true fact...T.T....,Thank for replying
cheelip
Novice

Postby sich » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:21 am

In short, you need a power supply which can deliver up to the ampere your motors need. That solves the current part. Then you need the regulator circuit which can regulate the voltage from power supply (may be 12V) down to 5-6V, and withstand the current required by your motors. That completes the voltage part.

I'm not sure about your senior's circuit, but here's one example for you to refer -> PR18 Walking Robot
Download the schematic and study how it regulate the voltage and provide high current at the same time. May be you should read the Detail Description document too.
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby cheelip » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Thank you sich....:D
cheelip
Novice

Return to DC Motor