Choosing suitable DC motor. Help!

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

Choosing suitable DC motor. Help!

Postby mny » Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Hello members!.

Currently I'm doing my project for flexible manipulator. I want to buy a powerful motor that have high speed and high torque, where the size of motor is not my concern.

I need a DC motor with built-in encoder that can provide me a feedback for position control.
The motor will need to move the aluminium flexible manipulator in horizontal position with length=1m, width=2cm and thickness=3mm and I need to control the position of the manipulator using the feedback from DC motor and the manipulator will directly connected to the main shaft of motor using coupling.
I don't know correctly the minimum torque required by the motor to move my flexible manipulator in high speed. Is it 3-5Nm will be sufficient?
So I need your help in recommended to me suitable DC motor for my project which can fulfill the requirement of torque and fast response.

Please help me and your advise are really appreciated.

Here I attach my schematic of flexible manipulator for better understanding of my problem.
Attachments
Assem21.JPG
mny
Freshie

Re: Choosing suitable DC motor. Help!

Postby robosang » Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 pm

you need to really test it... not really know how to help you.
robosang
Expert

Postby gadgetng » Thu May 23, 2013 4:09 pm

http://www.robotshop.com/robot-arm.html
I hope the Torque Calculator above can help you. There are too many factors. :roll:
gadgetng
Discoverer

Postby mny » Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks for replying.
I will try a few option and the link is helpful. ;)
mny
Freshie

Return to DC Motor