LCD question

FYP Starter Pack, ICs, Voltage Regulator, Resistor, Capacitor......

Re: LCD question

Postby robosang » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 am

zhenning WROTE:Hahaha.... shiyan, it will be cheaper than you LCD, XD only..

1 Nand
1 10 way switch
1 DPDT
1 7805 regulator
2 .1uF cap
1 10uF cap
1 PCB

that should be all you need :)

Still I agreed with shiyan...... though the component is cheaper than LCD.... I don see the purpose of developing this to test LCD, I have been using SK40B for a project and did a portable LCD header.... now when I have SK40C, it become my test kit for LCD, yeah! Furthermore, using switches and logic gate will take longer time to build, and when test, I need to manually configure the DIP switch, the E clock, RS pin.... is not particle at all. Just my opinion.
robosang
Expert

Postby zhenning » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Hahaha... if you know how lcd works and you have fundamentals on how to use C. How about someone that is totally new to LCD? If you use programming, you will have to worry on the power sequence, delay required and etc. Just my thought :)
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby ABSF » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 am

Still I agreed with shiyan...... though the component is cheaper than LCD.... I don see the purpose of developing this to test LCD, I have been using SK40B for a project and did a portable LCD header.... now when I have SK40C, it become my test kit for LCD, yeah! Furthermore, using switches and logic gate will take longer time to build, and when test, I need to manually configure the DIP switch, the E clock, RS pin.... is not particle at all. Just my opinion

I didn't construct the circuit on PCB or breadboard. I just simulate it on ISIS and it works. May be it is a waste of time for you or me to make this circuit on PCB. But who knows, some newbie out there is desparate to test his LCD and dont have a microcontroller to test on. At least the OP william82 would be happy if he knew that there is an alternative to test his LCD before committed to SK40C, 16F877 and UIC00B.

I have completed the automatic version of the above circuit on ISIS using 2x2732 eprom, a 4040 and a 555. The difficult part is how to program the 2 2732 on the ISIS. I use winhex from the net. If anyone is interested, you may PM me for the circuit. But making the circuit is a bit difficult as you must have the eprom programmer. So it is for educational purpose only.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby shiyan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:18 pm

ABSF WROTE:I have completed the automatic version of the above circuit on ISIS using 2x2732 eprom, a 4040 and a 555. The difficult part is how to program the 2 2732 on the ISIS. I use winhex from the net. If anyone is interested, you may PM me for the circuit. But making the circuit is a bit difficult as you must have the eprom programmer. So it is for educational purpose only.
Allen

Thanks for agree with me Robosang :)

Allen, do you mean you need to program the EPROM 1st in order for the test circuit to work? In such a way, I don see the effort and cost save compared to using microcontroller and develop program to test it. As the EPROM programmer is not common nowadays, and if you can find one, I guess is not cheap. OK, if you get one and is cheap, you will still need to program it with correct logic and ............ :shock:

Just my humble 3 cents :D
shiyan
Amateur

Postby ABSF » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Allen, do you mean you need to program the EPROM 1st in order for the test circuit to work? In such a way, I don see the effort and cost save compared to using microcontroller and develop program to test it. As the EPROM programmer is not common nowadays, and if you can find one, I guess is not cheap. OK, if you get one and is cheap, you will still need to program it with correct logic and ............

Yes, that's why I only did it on the circuit sumulator ISIS. But if I really want to make one, I can. I have 2 EPROM programmers, one for PC and one for Apple. I also have plenty of 2716 eprom (2K bytes) which I got from faulty teleprinters. I also got the UV eraser for the eprom. To program the eprom is very easy, as I only need to write 10 bytes to each eprom and leave the rest as "FF". But I am satisfied just to simulate it and to see the word "HELLO" appears on the LCD screen on the ISIS.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Previous

Return to Electronic Component