types of sensor can be used for detect housohold waste

Digital Fiber, Photoelectric, Laser Range, Optical, Temperature, Rotary Encoder, Ultrasonic, Gas, Gyro, Accelerometer, FlexiBend, Flexiforce, Compass......

types of sensor can be used for detect housohold waste

Postby guna21 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:56 pm

i'm currently doing final year project about automated mechanical sorting device for mixed household waste. i need sensors for detect metal, glass, bottle, plastics and papers. i want know what type of sensor can used for my project?
guna21
Freshie

Re: types of sensor can be used for detect housohold waste

Postby sich » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Hm...you need a camera and a good algorithm to differentiate those items. Otherwise, i can't think of a single sensor for such application.

Another crazy idea i got is you hit each object with a stick, then train your controller to recognize the sound produced by each object. That can roughly give you a good guess of what the object is :P :roll:
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby guna21 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:58 pm

i alrdy proposed my proposal to my lecturer and he approved rdy. so, i cant use your 2nd idea. but it's nice idea also. i would consider.you are correct. i need use camera also to recognize the items. i'm not sure what type of camera and sensors can be used. Can u tell me about d sensors all?
guna21
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:30 am

wow, probably u will need some study and research in image processing and recognization.
:o

mayb analyse the characteristic of reflected ultrasound from ultrasound sensor?

http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=DzoeOC4oADMdMiI9Mhw4FV52oL1PM1rX5ZACxAsQNPU=

or mayb camera? http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=NjQeAg4tBywEATU5FiEnN7k9ohIXIq/jxdmnAUnjY3g=
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby guna21 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 am

good idea.. i would research about this 1st.. thn find out which is d best for my project
guna21
Freshie

Postby guna21 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 am

thanx a lot for u guys... i decide ready how my going to be.. i combined both of u ideas.. i think it would be successful..
guna21
Freshie

Postby yonghui » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 am

hi,

great to hear that :)
do share with us, your story of project here ;)

regards,
yh
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby lordtct » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:29 am

Welcome to the world of machine vision. More often than not, we will use 3rd party software for the job, i.e. LabVIEW or MATLAB/Simulink because feature detection and pattern recognition is not a trivial science.

You will need a VERY good camera that will interface with your computer. Webcams (or Cytron's) just won't cut it. High resolution (min 600dpi vertical) COLOUR digital CCD cameras will work well to discern between clear glass bottles from red plastic ones.

Good luck figuring how your model will respond to say....a green glass bottle from a green polycarbonate bottle though =)
lordtct
Freshie

Return to Sensor