Position Sensor

Digital Fiber, Photoelectric, Laser Range, Optical, Temperature, Rotary Encoder, Ultrasonic, Gas, Gyro, Accelerometer, FlexiBend, Flexiforce, Compass......

Position Sensor

Postby ELMS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm doing analog system to control a ball. I'm using IR sensor as the position sensor. The problem is the output of the IR sensor is non linear. How can I invert the output of IR sensor? Should I use anti logarithm? or perhaps linearization formula? Or perhaps just switch to any other suitable position sensor?
Thank you
ELMS
Freshie

Re: Position Sensor

Postby robosang » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 pm

You should read this article here: Linearizing IR distance sensor
robosang
Expert

Postby ELMS » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks a lot. Any other suggestion for sensor? Other than IR sensor? How about ultrasonic sensor?
ELMS
Freshie

Postby ober » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:19 am

ELMS WROTE:I'm doing analog system to control a ball. I'm using IR sensor as the position sensor. The problem is the output of the IR sensor is non linear. How can I invert the output of IR sensor? Should I use anti logarithm? or perhaps linearization formula? Or perhaps just switch to any other suitable position sensor?
Thank you

Position sensor, kind of general term you have there. IR and Ultrasonic range finder is basically distance sensor, not exactly position sensor. In simple words, distance sensor sense distance in 1 axis and 1 line. Position can be 2 D and 3 D. So it depends on how you want it to be 8-)

Ultrasonic range finder resolution is 1inch, so if 1 inch is good enough for your application, then try it, and the output is linear.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby ELMS » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks again.
ELMS
Freshie

Return to Sensor