Connection of ACS756 current sensor for AC current sensing

Digital Fiber, Photoelectric, Laser Range, Optical, Temperature, Rotary Encoder, Ultrasonic, Gas, Gyro, Accelerometer, FlexiBend, Flexiforce, Compass......

Connection of ACS756 current sensor for AC current sensing

Postby hasanf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:44 am

Hi and good day,

I have a question regarding the connection of ACS756 current sensor to sense the current of AC load/ appliance. Let say, i wanna measure the current usage of my laptop, then how would i connect the sensor to the laptop?

My first guess was the "livewire" of the AC appliance should be connected to both ends of the ACS breakout board (at IP+ and IP-). However after some trials with microcontroller ADC, the readings were almost stagnant (no change in data). Is the problem caused by the connection or was it normal for AC current readings?

As the tutorial on the website is for DC connection (which I have successfully tried), could anyone show an example of connection for the AC connection? (I have gone thru the net and found none).

Thank you for your time and help!
hasanf
Greenhorn

Re: Connection of ACS756 current sensor for AC current sensi

Postby robosang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Not sure about the connection because never use that sensor. But let me ask you a question. How much current do you think the laptop adapter require?
robosang
Expert

Postby shahrul » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm

How to connect current sensor is same like how to measure current using Multimeter. You need to connect in series with the measured current, so current flow throught it.
shahrul
Professional

Postby hasanf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Ok, now that I've done with the connection and thank God, i've got a list of reading data for sampling. Now comes to the next issue on how to convert the ADC values to a more meaningful amperes.

The data gives an analog trend as it is AC current sensor. The example is like this:

Then, based on these data, how could we convert them into amperes so that the ampere values could be used to calculate the power usage?

I've search on the internet, and found this formula Amps = ( Ain - 511.5 ) / 20.46 which was posted by a forumer in this forum: http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthread ... ect+sensor

Does anyone know how the formula is formed?
hasanf
Greenhorn

Postby majdi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 pm

I just connect this ACS756050B, for 240AC with bulp 12watt. Vout give 2.5VDC without 240v given. When i supply with 240ac still same not much change. Its possible the current below 1A? ACS756 must at least > 1A then Vout will have some different value.
majdi
Fledgling

Return to Sensor