What sensor is suitable to measure angle of rotation?

Digital Fiber, Photoelectric, Laser Range, Optical, Temperature, Rotary Encoder, Ultrasonic, Gas, Gyro, Accelerometer, FlexiBend, Flexiforce, Compass......

What sensor is suitable to measure angle of rotation?

Postby A380 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:12 pm

In my opinion, the sensors can be used to measure pan angle (horizontal angle) are potential meter (Variable resistor), quadrature encoder (rotary encoder) and digital compass. It is depend on your application.

Gyro is not suitable to measure the pan angle due to its drifting error and also the price is quite expensive. Since its output is proportional to the angular velocity, user need to integrate its output to yet the angle value. May be this integration process will reduce the accuracy due to the sampling time.

For tilt angle (which involve gravity acceleration) measurement, IMU (Inertia Measurement Unit) sensor is recommended. IMU is a sensor which combination of 3 axis accelerometer and 2 axis gyro sensor. Two sensors are used because its has it own advantages and disadvantages. The angle outputs from each sensor should be filter by complementary filter or Kalman filter before yet the actual tilt angle.
A380
Discoverer

Re: What sensor is suitable to measure angle of rotation?

Postby shahrul » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:25 pm

A380 WROTE:In my opinion, the sensors can be used to measure pan angle (horizontal angle) are potential meter (Variable resistor), quadrature encoder (rotary encoder) and digital compass. It is depend on your application.

Yes, agree.
Potential meter is easier, just read analog value.
Rotary encoder, needs to count from starting point.
Digital compass, costly and maybe facing more error.
shahrul
Professional

Postby robosang » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 am

A380 WROTE:For tilt angle (which involve gravity acceleration) measurement, IMU (Inertia Measurement Unit) sensor is recommended. IMU is a sensor which combination of 3 axis accelerometer and 2 axis gyro sensor. Two sensors are used because its has it own advantages and disadvantages. The angle outputs from each sensor should be filter by complementary filter or Kalman filter before yet the actual tilt angle.

IMU is not necessary 5 degree or 3 axis of accelerometer and 2 axis of gyro. 3A + 2G = 5 degree. IMU is combination of Accelerometer and Gyro. I saw 9 degree of IMU before which combine 3A, 3G and 3 axis of Magneto meter. Anyway, good sharing.
robosang
Expert

Postby meen » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Greetings all,

I am a utp student currently doing his FYP. :ugeek:
my project is about using 2 mechanical robot arms cooperating together to balance a beam together using master-slave approach.

i am searching a sensor which is suitable to send a signal to the slave once the master lifts and thus incline the beam.
a previous student used a Two-Axis Tilt and Acceleration Sensor Module from DrRobot.
the link to the product is here:
http://www.drrobot.com/products_item.as ... er=DTA5102

for improvements, i would like to find a better sensor for this project.
is there any sensor from cytron that complies to my requirement?

thank you. :D
meen
Fledgling

Postby A380 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 am

For me, I also will choose the accelerometer as the sensor in this condition. I think the performance can be improved in software. Before you start your project, you should know what is the weakness of the previous project then you improve it. Cytron has 3 axis accelerometer and the feature almost same as Two-Axis Tilt and Acceleration Sensor Module from DrRobot. You can try to see this product by clicking this link http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=GwYeKx8hHDw5NQcOMwopAJ9ekF3DrAk10Gnsl929734=&store=
A380
Discoverer

Return to Sensor