FAQ about servo controller

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

FAQ about servo controller

Postby unnamedkalkulus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 am

Hi guys, i'm new in this field and i would like to ask some question.

Can i just control the servo using PIC16F877A instead of using servo controller such as SC16A?
What are the difference? I really appreciated if some of u guys can elaborate more.

Thanks in advance. :)
unnamedkalkulus
Greenhorn

Re: FAQ about servo controller

Postby shahrul » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 am

unnamedkalkulus WROTE:Hi guys, i'm new in this field and i would like to ask some question.

Can i just control the servo using PIC16F877A instead of using servo controller such as SC16A?
What are the difference? I really appreciated if some of u guys can elaborate more.

Yes can. You can do Timer Interrupt and control multiple servo directly from PIC16F877A.
The different, you need to do more programming but less hardware.
shahrul
Professional

Postby ABSF » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:34 am

unnamedkalkulus WROTE:Hi guys, i'm new in this field and i would like to ask some question.

May be you can start reading the servo FAQ here if you want to control servo directly:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8

The difference is, using SC16A, the hard parts are already done by cytron. You just have to tell the SC16A what to do by UART commands using PIC or USB thru PC. Further more it offers to control 16 servo motors. Using PIC alone you'll have to figure out all the detailed parts yourself, sort of like reinventing the wheel. Would be a challenging task or project for beginner.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby unnamedkalkulus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Really appreciated.

For the programming part, i couldn't get the idea how to control servo using UART commands.
That's why i asked just now cause' i just want to control 1 servo and 1 DC motor only.
I'm a student and new to this field, so i guess in terms of cost, it will be much less, yes?

On the other part, what are the most suitable motor to trigger a paintball marker?
I have DC motor in my mind and perhaps basic DC motor is sufficient to trigger the paintball marker.
unnamedkalkulus
Greenhorn

Postby hyng » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am

Just write your own code if you just control one servo motor. :roll:
Not sure about the paintball marker. But if you use DC motor, make sure there is a mechanism/circuit so that your dc motor will not continue pull the trigger.
hyng

Postby shahrul » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 pm

unnamedkalkulus WROTE:On the other part, what are the most suitable motor to trigger a paintball marker?
I have DC motor in my mind and perhaps basic DC motor is sufficient to trigger the paintball marker.

Paintball marker have 2 type. Mechanical marker or electronic marker.
For mechanical marker, use servo to trigger. Servo is enough torque to trigger it.
For electronic marker, you can modified inside it's and put relay or optoisolator to trigger.
shahrul
Professional

Postby unnamedkalkulus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

hyng WROTE:Not sure about the paintball marker. But if you use DC motor, make sure there is a mechanism/circuit so that your dc motor will not continue pull the trigger.

Oh yea thanks for noticing me cause' it'll be harder to control DC motor to make it rotate 1 full cycle only. :D

shahrul WROTE:Paintball marker have 2 type. Mechanical marker or electronic marker.
For mechanical marker, use servo to trigger. Servo is enough torque to trigger it.
For electronic marker, you can modified inside it's and put relay or optoisolator to trigger.

I'm using mechanical marker and i agree servo motor is most suitable to control the trigger and much easier perhaps. Thanks to all sifus. :D
unnamedkalkulus
Greenhorn

Return to Robot Controller