Robot Gripper that can grip a Rubik's Cube

Servo Bracket, Robot Gripper, Robot Chasis, Micro Gearmotor Bracket, Castor,Acrylic, Anti-slip Map

Robot Gripper that can grip a Rubik's Cube

Postby athyabm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi there, I'm a final year Mechatronics student at Nottingham University, Malaysia. I have been tasked with the building of a Rubik's Cube solving robot. My part in the group is the fabrication of arms.

To do this, I will need the following (to the best of my knowledge):
Robot grippers large enough to hold the cube
Servo motors to make the gripper grab or release
Motors to facilitate the rotation of the cube

All of this has to be able to be connected to and controlled by an Arduino as well.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thank You,
Athyab Muhith
athyabm
Freshie

Re: Robot Gripper that can grip a Rubik's Cube

Postby aurora » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Cool, sound like an interesting project. Before I start to suggest anything, first we need to know what is the type of facilities and tools available in your university. An advance CAM machine with higher DOF would help to fabricate advance and customized component, anything that can help you to achieve desired grip mechanism and size.

Then is the type of material you want to use. Assuming budget is not a problem, ideally would be an aluminum body, with high torque servos, and a mini replication of two robotic arm, comes with 5DOF/each. :D

But that would be too fancy for a Rubik solver, won't it ;)

Rubik comes with 6 faces; to grip the cube at any given time, your grip need to be in contact of at least 2 faces, directly opposite each other. The cube has 6 rotating faces; of which 2 faces is in direct contract with the (first) grip. Understand this, and how you wish to rotate entirely depends on what type of resources you have to fabricate the arm.

Motor should be the last to consider. You can have servos, or more powerful stepper, or even DC motor; the later has less accuracy and control, hence your solver will have more rugged movement.
aurora
Discoverer

Postby athyabm » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:23 am

thank u aurora for ur email.
The main problem is the budget. I'm running on a really tight budget.

I am hoping on making something similar to Swinburne's design:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtBTKpWVXk

Pls advice on how would i go about it

Thank u
athyabm
Freshie

Postby aurora » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:17 pm

That looks like a customise setup, using only 2 DOF to solve the cube. Does your university has any advance manufacturing machine? Are you allow/know how to use those machine?

First thing to work out is the grip. Need to spend a good few weeks to get the design right and few more weeks to fabricate it. You need to discuss with your team as well, what type of motor to use. For first attempt, I suggest you try to limit the speed of the solver to slower motion, that way it is more forgiving on the grip.

Swinburne solver grip only 1 small color block on the cube, 15mm (ya, I have a cube too!). I think you can use cytron grip, with some modification.
aurora
Discoverer

Postby mariabella devin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:34 pm

hello there..

All things considered, I might want to get some exhortation and counsel about my last year project which is to plan and create adaptable pincher/gripper for computerized chocolate chip treats machine.

The targets of this venture are to hold the batter from the compartment, move and orchestrate it to the heating plate with consistent size, weight and adjusted state of mixture.

The principle issue is the mixture can't be pack by the gripper. how I need to grasp the delicate batter by the gripper? would u be able to give a few thoughts/assessment on how we need to move the gripper and which kind of the gripper is appropriate to utilize.

I was wanted to utilize PIC as the regulator and RC servomotor as the actuator..So I was puzzling over whether is it viable/reasonable to apply for this venture or u can give a few thoughts/feelings with respect to do this undertaking.
mariabella devin
Fledgling

Return to Hardware