Question on controlling connection

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

Question on controlling connection

Postby hanhoong » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi all,
I'm going to use PS2 Controller Starter Kit (SKPS) connect with Wireless PS2 Controller (PS-GP-2) to control 4 Channel Motor Driver (FD04A) with 4 dc gear motor and using PIC 16F877A. Is it possible??

What is the max distance for the Wireless PS2 Controller to PS2 Controller Starter Kit? Are there any ways to improve the distance??

Thanks.
hanhoong
Freshie

Re: Question on controlling connection

Postby kl84 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm

hanhoong WROTE:I'm going to use PS2 Controller Starter Kit (SKPS) connect with Wireless PS2 Controller (PS-GP-2) to control 4 Channel Motor Driver (FD04A) with 4 dc gear motor and using PIC 16F877A. Is it possible??

Possible...but you will need another uC to communicate with SKPS and translate the commands to control FD04A.

hanhoong WROTE:What is the max distance for the Wireless PS2 Controller to PS2 Controller Starter Kit? Are there any ways to improve the distance??

Not sure. If we consider this wireless controller is for user to play their PS games in front of the TV, the distance should be limited by default.
kl84
Amateur

Postby hanhoong » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 pm

thanks kl84.
What you mean by uC??

hmm...then if i don't use ps controller, can u suggest me other RC controller that can have longer distance?? Around 20 m?
hanhoong
Freshie

Postby ABSF » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 pm

hanhoong WROTE:thanks kl84.
What you mean by uC??

hmm...then if i don't use ps controller, can u suggest me other RC controller that can have longer distance?? Around 20 m?

uC = MCU = microcontroller.

PS2 wireless joystick is using infra-red to send data to the main unit. Infra-red would normally not travel very far due to it was designed for that purpose and it would not pass through walls. If you want it to go 20m and beyond, the cheap RF modules if used with matching aerial might be able to go that far. The RC for model car or model planes uses more powerful RF transmitter designs in order to go hunreds of meters. If you can afford, Xbee module would be the better choice.

Allen
The next war will determine NOT who is right BUT what is left.
ABSF
Professional

Postby hanhoong » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks Allen,

Beside using joystick as a controller with Xbee, can I change to other controller?? For example?

thanks alot :D
hanhoong
Freshie

Postby ABSF » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:40 am

Besides using wireless PS2 as input device, you can also use push buttons or PC numeric keypad. LIke your PC keyboard, you have UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT to control the direction. You can define other keys like "S" to speed up and "A" to slow down the motor.

You can also use the joystick mechanism here and directly interface to the PIC and send the commands to your RC car via the RF /XBee module...

BB-PSJ - Breakout board with Joystick soldered
http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... R8mtXgTr0=

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby robosang » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:05 pm

ABSF WROTE:PS2 wireless joystick is using infra-red to send data to the main unit. Infra-red would normally not travel very far due to it was designed for that purpose and it would not pass through walls. If you want it to go 20m and beyond, the cheap RF modules if used with matching aerial might be able to go that far. The RC for model car or model planes uses more powerful RF transmitter designs in order to go hunreds of meters. If you can afford, Xbee module would be the better choice.

Allen, actually Wireless PS2 is not using Infrared, at least from what I get. The packaging actually stated it is using 2.4GHz, I open the casing, it is a wireless module which I do not recognize, should be customized wireless module. Yes, it cannot go far as the main purpose is not for distance control, as kl84 said, when you play PS2, normally is in a room, I have try 10 meters before, but not sure about your PS2 because there are many type in the market.

Also as far as I know, SONY does not come out with wireless PS2, all those wireless PS2 in market is not from SONY :)
robosang
Expert

Postby ABSF » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 am

robosang WROTE:Allen, actually Wireless PS2 is not using Infrared, at least from what I get. The packaging actually stated it is using 2.4GHz, I open the casing, it is a wireless module which I do not recognize, should be customized wireless module. Yes, it cannot go far as the main purpose is not for distance control, as kl84 said, when you play PS2, normally is in a room, I have try 10 meters before, but not sure about your PS2 because there are many type in the market.

Also as far as I know, SONY does not come out with wireless PS2, all those wireless PS2 in market is not from SONY

Oops, I didnt know that. I thought it was using infra-red because I have a Micro-Genius (Nitendo Clone) that came with a wireless joystick and it was using infra-red. Thats why when I was playing the game I have to point the joystick towards the game console. May be thats also the reason the PS2 designer didnt choose infra-red for their joysticks.

Most of the PS2 joysticks we bought today are "Made in China". Even Sony cannot afford to manufacture these low-tech stuffs in Japan and who would buy it if it is 3x the price compared to ones designed in China.

Allen
ABSF
Professional

Postby hanhoong » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks to you all :)
hanhoong
Freshie

Return to Robot Controller