Intelligent Trash Can

If you have any suggestion or proposal that would like to share with us, please post it here. Thanks.

Intelligent Trash Can

Postby soublele » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 am

Currently I'm working on this project whereby the trashcan will be able to detect the type of trash thrown (paper,plastic,metal) and able to segment it accordingly.

Besides, it comes with side features such as the trashcan will move to the user when signaled, auto open lid when hand motion is detected, sense when the trashcan is full.

I'm not particularly sure that its achievable in time for me. Therefore, I'm seeking for help here :|
Especially on the detection of type of trash.

All inputs are highly appreciated n welcomed.

Thanks
soublele
Greenhorn

Re: Intelligent Trash Can

Postby yonghui » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:22 pm

im not sure, but i think u need to start to research what sensor to use to differentiate between those 3 materials.characteristic of reflected high freq sound wave from the material?
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby mec » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:18 pm

the most difficult part is the sensor... i would like to know what sensor u will use. Ultrasonic?
mec

Postby soublele » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:08 pm

so far after some decent research, there's two ways to detect the material.

First is through LDR whereby aluminium will reflect the light, glass will allow the light to penetrate through it and for paper, the light will pass through partially. Not sure whether the end result will be accurate or not.

Second is via image processing and border detection. This is quite complicated and i'm not sure i'll be able to carry this out.

Any ideas from sifus here? :D
soublele
Greenhorn

Return to Ideas for New Products