Attendance system

Discussion about project that uses other controller, or non controller based project such as using logic gates, FPGA, ARM, Mechanical ....etc. Welcome to post it here

Re: Attendance system

Postby robosang » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am

Yup, zhenning is correct, MPLAB IDE or MPLAB X IDE is just a IDE that allow you to edit code, call compilers to compile the code you wrote, integrate with ICD or program to load the hex produce after compiled to PIC microcontroller. All these process aiming to do 1 thing, prepare program for PIC Microcontroller. Same applied to Arduino IDE, write code, compile, load into Arduino board :)

Yes, you can use MPLAB X IDE on Linux (should be), but the aim never change, write code for PIC microcontroller.

From what I see, you have a long way to go, I am not familiar with Linux and ARM architecture/environment, cannot advise so much. Normally choosing a programming language will base on several factors:
1. Is the tools available for free? Like Arduino IDE and MPLAB IDE?
2. Is it user friendly? Or command base like a DOS? Which do you prefer?
3. Community support? When you get problem, where to get advice?
4. Of course, can it run on your platform? In this case the Linux on ARM.
5. Any particular limitations?

Looking at your system, you would really want to consider breaking down part to part. As advised by zhenning, is not possible to integrate subsystem once and hoping it would work like magic, it will not work :mrgreen: So go and do more study.
robosang
Expert

Postby zhenning » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am

Marvin_G WROTE:Ok lets say i wanted to send several set of commands to my fingerprint reader (which is a DSP processor) through UART. So,what is the best software for it? besides using terminal?

In linux, everybody uses terminal and makefile to compile a program. Just the terminal itself, it can compile c program without any add-ons like in windows.So, you would not be expecting as much software as in windows.

Marvin_G WROTE:second is, i'm using webpage (which is created using PHP) as my GUI and i wanted to execute terminal function inside of it. Example like, when i press "start matching" button in my GUI, it send a set of command using terminal through the UART to the DSP processor. IS that possible?

Since you are using PHP already, why you need to find another software? What you need is to find out how to use PHP to output or grab data to the RS232. There are Serial classes for PHP. You can directly grab the data. I suggested terminal because you just mentioned you to just send command from ARM processor which runs in linux debian platform.
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby Marvin_G » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:29 am

zhenning WROTE:
Marvin_G WROTE:Ok lets say i wanted to send several set of commands to my fingerprint reader (which is a DSP processor) through UART. So,what is the best software for it? besides using terminal?

In linux, everybody uses terminal and makefile to compile a program. Just the terminal itself, it can compile c program without any add-ons like in windows.So, you would not be expecting as much software as in windows.

Marvin_G WROTE:second is, i'm using webpage (which is created using PHP) as my GUI and i wanted to execute terminal function inside of it. Example like, when i press "start matching" button in my GUI, it send a set of command using terminal through the UART to the DSP processor. IS that possible?

Since you are using PHP already, why you need to find another software? What you need is to find out how to use PHP to output or grab data to the RS232. There are Serial classes for PHP. You can directly grab the data. I suggested terminal because you just mentioned you to just send command from ARM processor which runs in linux debian platform.

Thank you so much with all your advice and others also. Appreciate it. Now i will study more about this and continue with my work. ^^,
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby Marvin_G » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 am

zhenning WROTE:

If i were only using terminal to send command like "0x250x230000CHK0xF5" to the DSP processor, what are the command i need to type? Under Linux this serial port is known as /dev/ttyAM0 but i'm not sure how to use it. How to grab data from serial port through terminal and retrieve as well?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby zhenning » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 pm

To read from the device use cat.
cat /dev/ttyUSB0

To write to the device use echo.
echo "command" > /dev/ttyUSB0

You need to change the user dialout group:

sudo usermod -a -G tty yourUserName

sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourUserName
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby Marvin_G » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm

zhenning WROTE:To read from the device use cat.
cat /dev/ttyUSB0

Thank you so much for the information
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby Marvin_G » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm

cat /dev/ttyUSB0

erm..when i tried to read from the deive using cat, i didn't get any reply,why? supposed i'll received data with the same format command i sent. Why there's no command received?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby zhenning » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Marvin_G WROTE:
cat /dev/ttyUSB0

erm..when i tried to read from the deive using cat, i didn't get any reply,why? supposed i'll received data with the same format command i sent. Why there's no command received?

Please pose your command? Did you change the dialout group?
zhenning
Enthusiast

Postby Marvin_G » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 pm

zhenning WROTE:
Marvin_G WROTE:
cat /dev/ttyUSB0

echo "0xF5" > /dev/ttyUSB0..do i need to put the "" thing as well?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

Postby Marvin_G » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm

zhenning WROTE:
Marvin_G WROTE:
cat /dev/ttyUSB0

i'm using UC00B in linux. i think thats the problem. i need to install the driver i guess but i'm not really sure how. you know?
Marvin_G
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Misc Project