SD02B erratic moves

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

SD02B erratic moves

Postby jhfelectric » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Hello,
Just received and tried the combination UC00A - SD02B - Stepper.
My first try was just after connecting the stepper motor, and while pushing the test button, the stepper rotated once left, then right, then left... each time I press the test button, the stepper rotates in a random side. I thought 'no big deal', must be normal...
Then trying the SD02B GUI tool, the stepper really has erratic moves, as if it was always changing directions...
Any ideas what could be wrong ?
Thx, Julien
jhfelectric
Freshie

Re: SD02B erratic moves

Postby robosang » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Show the actual hardware, wiring connections.
robosang
Expert

Postby jhfelectric » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:25 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Attached is a photo of my setup.
I use the A/C 12 V / 2A power source from Cytron (AD-12-2)
The stepper motor is the one from Cytron too (17PM-J319-02ST).
The DC switch is positioned on Vmotor.
Wiring between the board and the motor is straight.
Here are the steps I follow:
1. plug the A/C adapter - the green power LED is on
2. push the reset button
3. push the test button - the motor starts rotating in either direction, say CW.
4. push the test button again - the motor starts rotating in either direction, say CW again
5. push the test button again - the motor starts rotating in either direction, say CCW now
The rotation direction is unpredictable. When the motor rotates, it does so steadily without any jumps, slides, etc...

Thx for your help.
Julien
Attachments
P1100985.JPG
My setup
P1100985.JPG (50.58 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
jhfelectric
Freshie

Postby sich » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:52 am

Do you mean:
1. when you press the Test button for the first time, the stepper motor can rotate smoothly.
2. but when you press the Test button the 2nd time, it may or may not rotate in the same direction compared to the first time?

What's your observation on these:
3. Did you feel any "extra ordinary" vibration at the stepper motor when it's rotating?
4. Is the stepper motor shaft loose whereas you can hold it with a pliers or even with you bare hand to stop it from moving?
~> How to ask QUESTIONS the SMART way in FORUM? <~
sich

Postby jhfelectric » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Sich,

Regarding your questions:
1. yes
2. yes
3. no special vibrations
4. while pressing the test button, if I hold the shaft firmly, the rotation direction changes. The shaft is not loose.

Thx for your help
jhfelectric
Freshie

Postby sich » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm

jhfelectric WROTE:4. while pressing the test button, if I hold the shaft firmly, the rotation direction changes. The shaft is not loose.

This is strange... normally we won't be able to hold the shaft and change its direction. Is any of the wires loose? Can you set to 1/10 micro-stepping with the GUI provided and try Test button again? If you still cannot get it right, the best way is to send the whole setup back to Cytron for checking and warranty.
sich

Postby jhfelectric » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi again,

So I have plugged in the UC00A, launched the GUI, and set the micro-stepping value to 1/10. Now when I press the test button, the motor rotates one step left, one step right, one step left, etc... Also, I remark the following:
- when plugging the UC00A, but without the Vmotor, the green power light is faintly lit.
- when pushing the test button in the above config (1/10), the X and !X blink one after the other, which sounds logical, but Y and !Y do not blink, or very faintly. I suspect this pair should also blink the same way.

Now I will test the wiring.
Julien.
jhfelectric
Freshie

Postby jhfelectric » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Hahaha...
So I tested the wiring.
The brown cable was not correctly settled in the motor's provided connector. If this wiring comes from the manufacturer, it seems a bit odd. If from Cytron, well..., not so bad after all, this problem gave me the opportunity to dive seriously into stepper motors. (actually, the sheath was covering all the strands, thus no connection)
Thx Sich, all is well now, problem solved :)
Julien.
jhfelectric
Freshie

Postby sich » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Glad to know your problem is finally solved =) Apologize for the faulty part!
sich

Return to Robot Controller