RFID based door access control system

RFID reader, Reader/Writer, Tag.....

RFID based door access control system

Postby ann » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 pm

hi, I had bought RFID Reader from one RFID company. I would like to do the RFID based door access control system. I has done a lot of researched and found mostly of the RFID based door access control system project using the microcontroller.My problem is the rfid reader that I had bought can be used only with a computer over USB. There is no UART pins available that is neccessary for Microcontroller communication. Is there any way to solve this problem?or use any electronic component or software that can make rfid reader to connect with the door?
ann

Re: RFID based door access control system

Postby ober » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 am

Yup, most of microcontroller does not have USB peripheral, even it has, most are USB device. You will need a USB host to connect USB device (in this case, the RFID reader is USB device). OK, let's say you get a microcontroller with USB host, you will still have much of work to do before you could use it.

But there is still hope, check what will the RFID become when you connect it to computer. Normally it is HID (Human Interface Device) or Virtual COM (COM Port). If it is Virtual COM, the RFID might be using a UART to USB converter internally. If so, it is hackable, but still, a lot trial and error, experimenting and study is needed.

If you want to avoid all this, get a UART interface of RFID reader, example: http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=RFID-IDR-232N&name=RFID%20Reader%20RS232%20(New)
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby gadgetng » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 am

ann WROTE:hi, I had bought RFID Reader from one RFID company. I would like to do the RFID based door access control system. I has done a lot of researched and found mostly of the RFID based door access control system project using the microcontroller.My problem is the rfid reader that I had bought can be used only with a computer over USB. There is no UART pins available that is neccessary for Microcontroller communication. Is there any way to solve this problem?or use any electronic component or software that can make rfid reader to connect with the door?

Isn't this is what you want to do, http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... oor%20Lock ? :D
gadgetng
Discoverer

Postby ann » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:46 pm

ober WROTE:Yup, most of microcontroller does not have USB peripheral, even it has, most are USB device. You will need a USB host to connect USB device (in this case, the RFID reader is USB device). OK, let's say you get a microcontroller with USB host, you will still have much of work to do before you could use it.

But there is still hope, check what will the RFID become when you connect it to computer. Normally it is HID (Human Interface Device) or Virtual COM (COM Port). If it is Virtual COM, the RFID might be using a UART to USB converter internally. If so, it is hackable, but still, a lot trial and error, experimenting and study is needed.

If you want to avoid all this, get a UART interface of RFID reader, example: http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=RFID-IDR-232N&name=RFID%20Reader%20RS232%20(New)

When the RFID connect to my computer, it is become a Virtual Com (Com Port).As you mention, the RFID might using a UART to USB converter internally. If it had been done on like this, how to solve and configure it in order to make the RFID can connect to the door?
ann

Postby ann » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:03 pm

gadgetng WROTE:
ann WROTE:hi, I had bought RFID Reader from one RFID company. I would like to do the RFID based door access control system. I has done a lot of researched and found mostly of the RFID based door access control system project using the microcontroller.My problem is the rfid reader that I had bought can be used only with a computer over USB. There is no UART pins available that is neccessary for Microcontroller communication. Is there any way to solve this problem?or use any electronic component or software that can make rfid reader to connect with the door?

Isn't this is what you want to do, http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.ph ... oor%20Lock ? :D

Yes. it is almost same with what I want to do. But in the mean time I also want to develop the payment system as user tap the tag on the RFID reader, the amount deduction and current value will be display on the screen. It is same with when we want to ride with the LRT transportation. But the RFID reader that I had bought can be used only with a computer over USB.
ann

Postby ober » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 pm

ann WROTE:When the RFID connect to my computer, it is become a Virtual Com (Com Port).As you mention, the RFID might using a UART to USB converter internally. If it had been done on like this, how to solve and configure it in order to make the RFID can connect to the door?

In that case, you will need to hack it. Hacking will always need to take risk of damaging the product and require your experiences and knowledge. Try to open and study whether there is a USB to UART chip in between the actual RFID reader, if so, tap the UART pins out using logic analyzer or oscilloscope to verify the waveform. That will require your skill and understanding.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Postby ann » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 am

ober WROTE:
ann WROTE:When the RFID connect to my computer, it is become a Virtual Com (Com Port).As you mention, the RFID might using a UART to USB converter internally. If it had been done on like this, how to solve and configure it in order to make the RFID can connect to the door?

In that case, you will need to hack it. Hacking will always need to take risk of damaging the product and require your experiences and knowledge. Try to open and study whether there is a USB to UART chip in between the actual RFID reader, if so, tap the UART pins out using logic analyzer or oscilloscope to verify the waveform. That will require your skill and understanding.

There was a USB and UART chip between the RFID reader.It is FT232R - USB UART IC. May I know,what is the function to verify the waveform?
ann

Postby ober » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 pm

In case you do not know what the chip is, you will need to tap the signal out. Since you know the chip, just check the datasheet and find out which pin is the UART pin and use it for your application.
Ober Choo
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Return to RFID