Help! Motor Jerking Situation!

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

Help! Motor Jerking Situation!

Postby JDM » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi.

I have a Dual Channel 10A DC Motor Driver from Cytron http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=MDD10A&name=Dual%20Channel%2010A%20DC%20Motor%20Driver and 2 DC motors. One of them is having a problem and giving me serious headache!

This is the spec of the motor (water pump), bought from here http://www.lelong.com.my/mwp1201-miniature-dc-motor-water-pump-ericlim55-133393945-2014-07-Sale-P.htm:

Rated voltage: 7.2V
Off load Ampere: 1.2A
On load Ampere: 2A
Weight :71.2g
Operating voltage: DC3V to 12V (red dots positive)
Inlet and outlet of water can be reverse by reversing the supply polarity
Motor diameter: 27mm
Total pump length: 52 mm
Water hose diameter: 4 mm (included)
Test result: Using 6V 1A power adaptor, Water pump at 1.2 minute per litre.

I use a 12V 2A AC-DC adapter to power up the board (and hence the motor).

My problem is, why is that when I press the manual button on the motor driver board, this particular motor becomes jerking (ON-OFF-ON-OFF)? It jerks like several seconds then it turn OFF (even when I'm still pressing it).

Please help! I'm in a desperate situation considering the deadline is near! :cry:

EDIT:

What I've done to troubleshoot:
1. Swap motor channel.
2. Swap input to the motor (red wire to positive, red wire to negative).
3. Check using multimeter. When it's jerking it gives like less than 1V.
4. Not connect the motor to the driver, then press the button. LED for the channel works OK and got 12V. Hence the driver still works.
5. Connect the motor to DC generator. Motor works OK.
JDM
Novice

Re: Help! Motor Jerking Situation!

Postby yonghui » Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

PLs try to connect the power to supply that can provide more current. Each motor can consume up to 2A according to ur motor spec. Ur adaptor only can supply not more than 2A,and most probably not reaching 2A.can show photos of hardware setup?
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby JDM » Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

I've connected it to my lab DC power supply that's able to provide higher current, but it's still the same.

By the way, I use the DC motor driver that can provide 10A current. Attached is the hardware setup.

From what I've found on other sites, it is because of noise problem, and one way that is suppose to fix it is to use capacitors (for decoupling?). I've done that (connecting capacitors, 0.1uF) but the motor still jerking, but this time it doesn't stop like before.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Hardware setup
JDM
Novice

Postby gadgetng » Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 am

I owned two MD10C before and they are working fine. Have you try with the input signal? Maybe you should try control the motor with PWM signal and see what happen.
gadgetng
Discoverer

Postby JDM » Fri May 02, 2014 11:49 am

Yes, I have tried that as well but it's still jerking :(
JDM
Novice

Postby yonghui » Sat May 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Do u mean on of the channel on the motor driver got problem? If really the driver problem,u better submit for warranty
thanks&regards,
yh
yonghui

Postby JDM » Sat May 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Nope. I'm certain it's not the driver problem, because I also have another (different) motor tested on both channels and it works fine.

I also have another motor driver board (single channel) and use the same problematic motor on the channel, and it also jerking.

Weird thing is, when I use the lab's DC generator and directly connects it to the motor, it works fine :?
JDM
Novice

Postby JDM » Tue May 06, 2014 2:46 pm

I figure it out. Turns out the motor needs higher current from the AC-DC adaptor, despite both the motor and adaptor is rated at 2A.

I use a LiPo battery that can support up to 4.4A and the motor works fine.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Anyway right now I'm considering whether to use 2 adaptors with the same voltage and connect it in parallel (to double the supply current) or to buy another adaptor, 12V 4A (but expensive).
JDM
Novice

Postby ober » Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 am

JDM WROTE:Anyway right now I'm considering whether to use 2 adaptors with the same voltage and connect it in parallel (to double the supply current) or to buy another adaptor, 12V 4A (but expensive).

Better to use single higher current adapter than to parallel adapter.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
ober

Re: Help! Motor Jerking Situation! [SOLVED]

Postby JDM » Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the advise. I think I will go for that option too.
JDM
Novice

Next

Return to DC Motor