Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Discussion about project that uses other controller, or non controller based project such as using logic gates, FPGA, ARM, Mechanical ....etc. Welcome to post it here

Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby Kyle_SYK » Sun May 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Greetings everybody, Kyle here.

As the title itself implies, I am in need of advice regarding what type of RF I should use for my project. I am currently engaged in a project to build an automated wireless Taekwondo Scoring System through the use of piezoelectric pads.

The idea is for the pads installed in the protective gears to absorb the blows from kicks and punches. The change in conductivity in the pads would send a signal to a transmitter which will be transmitted to a receiver away from the gear. The challenge now is to make the entire system wireless. With respect to that, I have heard that I can employ the use of RFs into the system to achieve just that. But after cycling through the list of products here, I'm confused as to which model should I be using for this project?

With that said, I will appreciate it very much if anyone can guide me through on this. Oh and here are the criteria that is required for the RF component for this project of mine:

1. Small
2. Low cost
3. Durable (Have to be able to resist punches and kicks as it is embedded into the protective gear together with the piezoelectric pads)

Many thanks and hope to hear your professional advice regarding this! =)
Kyle_SYK
Freshie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby ober » Fri May 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Most of wireless module uses UART to send and receive data, so you will need to study about that.

You can try 433MHz of 434MHz wireless UART module.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
User avatar
ober
Moderator
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby Kyle_SYK » Tue May 27, 2014 5:26 pm

ober wrote:Most of wireless module uses UART to send and receive data, so you will need to study about that.

You can try 433MHz of 434MHz wireless UART module.


Thanks for the info! Will look into it!

Also, I have been recommended to use "RF-TX 315". However, there are a few questions that I have regarding the component such as how am I going to power it? Any opinions regarding the said component and solution to this little problem I have at the moment?
Kyle_SYK
Freshie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby ober » Fri May 30, 2014 8:55 am

Powering up? I think the Getting Started Guide or User's Manual of the RF module show you that, do check that out.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
User avatar
ober
Moderator
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby Kyle_SYK » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:18 pm

[UPDATE]

So after a few months, I've gathered the components that I will be using for this project of mine.

Pressure sensor - Conductive Piezoresistive foam
Wireless module - 2.4 GHz transceiver module.
Microcontroller - Arduino UNO
Software for GUI - LabVIEW

Here's how the proposed system will roughly look like.

The foams (sensors) will be placed into the protective gears of the Taekwondo fighters (trunks, headgears etc) and the transceiver will basically be interfaced together with the sensor.

Here's my question now; will the transceiver be able to transmit signal if the pressure sensor is activated? Will it be able to read the analog signal generated by the sensor when pressure is applied to it?

If not, what are the methods I can implement in order for the situation above to take place? This is due to the fact that the main highlight of my project is a WIRELESS Taekwondo scoring system.
Kyle_SYK
Freshie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby ober » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 am

Try it through wired method first. It can be replace by wireless later on.

You need to try it yourself.
Ober Choo
Cytron Technologies Sdn Bhd
www.cytron.com.my
User avatar
ober
Moderator
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby Kyle_SYK » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 pm

ober wrote:Try it through wired method first. It can be replace by wireless later on.

You need to try it yourself.


Wired method as in directly connecting the wires of the transmitters directly into the Analogue pins of the Arduino? I apologize if I have misunderstood the context of your message. Am pretty disoriented at the moment, no thanks to this final project of mine and other projects. But thank you so much for taking your time and assisting me. Greatly appreciate it =)
Kyle_SYK
Freshie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Re: Advice regarding selection of RF for a project

Postby wilson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:39 am

Kyle_SYK wrote:[UPDATE]

So after a few months, I've gathered the components that I will be using for this project of mine.

Pressure sensor - Conductive Piezoresistive foam
Wireless module - 2.4 GHz transceiver module.
Microcontroller - Arduino UNO
Software for GUI - LabVIEW

Here's how the proposed system will roughly look like.

The foams (sensors) will be placed into the protective gears of the Taekwondo fighters (trunks, headgears etc) and the transceiver will basically be interfaced together with the sensor.

Here's my question now; will the transceiver be able to transmit signal if the pressure sensor is activated? Will it be able to read the analog signal generated by the sensor when pressure is applied to it?

If not, what are the methods I can implement in order for the situation above to take place? This is due to the fact that the main highlight of my project is a WIRELESS Taekwondo scoring system.



Hi Kyle_SYK,

For your question:

1. will the transceiver be able to transmit signal if the pressure sensor is activated?
Transceiver will transmit signal in digital. As long as your sensor is in good condition, using your Arduino MCU to convert sensor signal to digital using ADC. MCU has ADC but if resolution not enough, you can use external ADC or add OP-AMP amplified your sensor signal. Now you have digital signal in MCU, send to transceiver from MCU. The sending interface depend on your transceiver.

2. Will it be able to read the analog signal generated by the sensor when pressure is applied to it?
This depend on your sensor."Conductive Piezoresistive foam" presure sensor, maybe you can have a link?
wilson
Novice
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm


Return to Misc Project

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron