SmartDrive Strange Behavior

Autonomous Robot, Manual Robot, DC Motor Driver, Stepper Motor Driver, Servo, Multi PWM chip.....

SmartDrive Strange Behavior

Postby Eric22 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Hello All,

I recently started using the Cytron SmartDrive 40 for a small machine prototype. Yesterday I noticed some strange behavior with the drive. When powered on the motor would spin counterclockwise for about 1 second then reverse and continue to spin clockwise forever. The speed setting was about 10-12 V for this 24 V motor. Testing it at lower voltages such as 3-4 V did not have this problem.

Tomorrow I can provide the drivers DIP settings to make sure everything is configured correctly.

Setup uses a PLC to supply a varying analog output 0-5 V as a digital speed pot into the drives IN1 and GND pins. IN2 for direction is left floating.
It drives a 24 V DC motor with a 25:1 gearbox at low rpms. The torque on the gearbox is roughly an average of 7-10 ft lbs.

If anyone more familiar with the drives can elaborate on this strange reversal in direction it would be most helpful. I know the DIP switches are setup for 0-5 V operation where 0 V is stopped and 5 V is full speed.

Does the Cytron SmartDrive 40 have any feedback to measure if too much current is drawn and possibly reverse the direction during periods of high torque?

Any information is helpful hopefully I posted this in the right section. First time poster here.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric
Eric22
Fledgling

Re: SmartDrive Strange Behavior

Postby waiweng83 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 am

Eric22 WROTE:The speed setting was about 10-12 V for this 24 V motor. Testing it at lower voltages such as 3-4 V did not have this problem.

What does this speed setting mean? Are you measuring it from the motor terminal?

Eric22 WROTE:Setup uses a PLC to supply a varying analog output 0-5 V as a digital speed pot into the drives IN1 and GND pins. IN2 for direction is left floating.

Try to connect the IN2 to GND. Noise may get into this pin if it's left floating and changing the direction of the motor.

Eric22 WROTE:Does the Cytron SmartDrive 40 have any feedback to measure if too much current is drawn and possibly reverse the direction during periods of high torque?

The SmartDrive40 will only limit the current when overloaded. It will not change the direction of the motor.

Hope this helps.
With the power of dream, nothing is impossible...
waiweng83

Return to Robot Controller