IR sensor for docking base purpose

Digital Fiber, Photoelectric, Laser Range, Optical, Temperature, Rotary Encoder, Ultrasonic, Gas, Gyro, Accelerometer, FlexiBend, Flexiforce, Compass......

IR sensor for docking base purpose

Postby Flaredro » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:26 am

Hi, I would like to use IR sensor to make a docking base for my robot. However, I found out that the IR sensor only works in short distance (less than 1meter). So, is there any more powerful IR sensors recommended? Or any sensors to use other than IR sensor?
* The IR receivers will be attached around the robot, while the IR emitter will be installed in the base. So the robot will be guided towards the docking base.

Flaredro

Re: IR sensor for docking base purpose

Postby Apis210 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 am

Hi, Your question is not too clear.
Apis210
Apprentice

Postby Flaredro » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Apis210 WROTE:Hi, Your question is not too clear.

ok sorry~

1. Is there any long range IR sensor (able to detect long range like 5-10meters) available in Cytron/market? I want it to make a docking system for mobile robot like those mobile vacuum robot.

2. Or is there any other methods (not using IR sensor) to make a docking system where the robot able to identify the location of the base and return to the base. What I want is simple, after the robot done its tasks somewhere, then it can straight away return to the base using the shortest distance/fastest way.

Apis210, do you get what I'm trying to say?
Flaredro

Postby Apis210 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:28 am

Hi, 5-10 meters? I did not found that one yet. I only found 1 to 5 meters,Sharp Distance Sensor (100-550cm) :ugeek:
Apis210
Apprentice

Postby bengchet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:59 am

Hi,

I presume there are no obstacles between the base and the place where the robot doing it task?

Few options you can consider besides IR sensor:

XBee, Bluetooth -
You can get RSSI value as a reference to the distance between the base and your robot. The objective is to shorten the distance as possible.

Camera-
You can set the image of your of base as target for robot. If the robot is going back to base, move around until the base is spotted. Then move back to base based on captured images. Image processing is needed. You can check here for all in one solution Pixy CMUcam5 Sensor

However, those are just suggestions. You can always research online for more solutions.
bengchet

Postby Flaredro » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:26 am

bengchet WROTE:Hi,

I presume there are no obstacles between the base and the place where the robot doing it task?

Few options you can consider besides IR sensor:

XBee, Bluetooth -
You can get RSSI value as a reference to the distance between the base and your robot. The objective is to shorten the distance as possible.

Camera-
You can set the image of your of base as target for robot. If the robot is going back to base, move around until the base is spotted. Then move back to base based on captured images. Image processing is needed. You can check here for all in one solution Pixy CMUcam5 Sensor

However, those are just suggestions. You can always research online for more solutions.

I'm not clear about the RSSI value, as I'm new in robotic. For example, if distance between the robot and the base is 1m, the RSSI received is only having 1 value or few values from different direction? Or in other way, how it works with RSSI value?

Thanks =)
Flaredro

Postby Apis210 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi, RSSI is stand for Received Signal Strength Indicator. It is a common name for the signal strength in a wireless network environment. It is a measure of the power level that a RF client device is receiving from an access point. If you are using RSSI, when your robot is near to the base, RSSI value or signal received by base is stronger. further the robot from the base, weaker the signal will the base received. From this, your base will know how far your robot is by knowing this signal strength. You have to explore this. There are many article about RSSI and project that use RSSI. Have fun learning. :ugeek:
Apis210
Apprentice

Return to Sensor