Why the output of LM7915 is -19V rather than -15V

AC-DC Adapter, Transformer, Lipo battery and charger, SLA, Cell battery.....

Why the output of LM7915 is -19V rather than -15V

Postby Yeannie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm trying to build a regulated power adapter using LM7915.

Before everything, I built on a protoboard the schema included on the datasheet . But, instead -15v, the output is -19v...

I'm using a 18+18v/500mA transformer. After the diode bridge (1n4007) the measure is -17.7v.

Into the input (-Vi) I'm using an electrolitic capacitor of 2200uF (50v). And into the output (-Vo) I'm using an electrolitic capacitor of 10uF (63v).

After wiring everything, measuring pins 1 (ground) and 3 (out) my voltmeter shows -19v...

I did the same experiment with a LM7815 and it worked nicely, so I don't think that I missed something.

Please, could you advise how to debug the circuit? Or point me out what I did wrong?

EDIT (solution?):

I managed to solve(?) the problem. I did not posted it as an answer since I don't know if it's only a coincidence or not... I've attached a picture.

The "problem" was that I wired the transformer 0V to the 7915 ground (pin 1). As you can see into the picture, the transformer has 3 wires: 2 purple and 1 black. Measuring each purple with the black, I found 19vAC, and after the bridge, -18vDC. So, as instructed here, I did the same on my circuit...

But, when I removed the ground wire, I got the correct measures: The 7915 pin 2 (in) showed -19vDC and pin 3 (out) -15vDC (in fact a little bit more, close to -16vDC). If I put it again, the measures goes back to the values that I informed before...

Yeannie
Greenhorn

Re: Why the output of LM7915 is -19V rather than -15V

Postby Idris » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi Yeannie, could you share the schematic diagram for better understanding
1. Problem - output 19V,
2. 'Solution'.

Thanks.
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Return to Power