Motor Shield MD 10 runs only one direction proper

LINIX Brushless, VEXTA Brushless, RC Servo, DC Geared, Linear, Stepper, Tamiya.....

Motor Shield MD 10 runs only one direction proper

Postby DC_trouble » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello everybody

I have a big issue with my md10 motor shield.
It it connected to an arduino uno. The goal is to power a 24V DC-motor (4A).
If i use the test buttons, the motor works fine. But as soon as I use software to control it, the trouble begins:
During the setup stage, the motor runs slowly and unsteady in one direction. After that stage, I can control it in one direction properly. But as soon as I stop it (pwm output 0), it again runs slowly and unsteady, like at the beginning.
When i change the direction, it hardly reacts to my input. High speed is unreachable. The onboard LEDs then both flicker.

This also occures when I use the example code (provided by Cytron). One direction is ok, the other not at all.

Further information:
I am a mechanical engineer student, currently working on my master thesis. The hardware is new (arduino one and motor shield). The motor is new as well, powered by SPS power supplies.

I am desperately hoping for some help. Thanks in advance.
Kind regards
DC_trouble
Greenhorn

Re: Motor Shield MD 10 runs only one direction proper

Postby Idris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi DC_trouble,

Since the test button is working fine, it seems like the trouble might be from the program. Could you share a few clear photos of your hardware setup and also the Arduino coding (the first one, before using example code)?
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Postby DC_trouble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi Idis

I did some more testing this morning:
When i set the direction to "LOW", everything works perfectly fine. The other direction "HIGH" does not work at all (no slow movement, no unsteady movement. just no movement at all).
I checked, if the arduino direction pin really sends a signal if set high. I connected a LED to the direction output pin, it works.
The motor shield test buttons both work (both directions ok!).

The Code:

int dirpin=2;
int motorpin=3;

void setup() {
pinMode(dirpin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(motorpin, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {

analogWrite(motorpin, 50); //works fine
digitalWrite(dirpin, LOW);
delay(2000);

analogWrite(motorpin,0); // works fine
delay(2000);

analogWrite(motorpin, 50); //does not work at all, no movement!
digitalWrite(dirpin, HIGH);
delay(2000);

analogWrite(motorpin,0); // works (no movement)
delay(2000);

}

The jumper positions don't have an influence. I tried all possibilities and changed the wiring respectively. The Arduino signal is ok (LED test). And since the test buttons both work, I expect the power supply to be ok.

One more comment: The picture "Shield_heat" shows an area, which heats up as soon as i connetct the 24V DC to the shield, but without even using the motor. Is this normal?

I'm looking forward for your reply.

Regards, DC_trouble
Attachments
shield.jpg
arduino.jpg
shield_heat.JPG
shield_heat.JPG (42.08 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
DC_trouble
Greenhorn

Postby DC_trouble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Hello everyone and especially Idris

Problem solved.
I didn't stack the shield on the arduino because i need to separate the control unit (Notebook, arduino) and the power unit (motor shield, motor, machine). But of course i should've connected the 5V power and the ground between arduino and motor shield. Now it is connected and everything works fine.

Thanks for the help anyways.
Regards, DC_trouble
DC_trouble
Greenhorn

Postby Idris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi DC_trouble,

Glad to hear that you've found the root cause. Keep explore! :)
Cytron Technologies invest time and resources providing tutorial, training and support for STEM education and maker movement. We need your support by purchasing products from Cytron Technologies. Thanks.
http://www.cytron.com.my
Idris

Return to DC Motor